Jacob Rees-Mogg's new Councillor is a remainer

One of my favourite news snippets today. Rees-Mogg lives amongst remainers :laughing:

5 Likes

Love it , my boroughs count only started at 1230 for some reason so I am still waiting

1 Like

And Cotswold has gone Lib Dem too!

1 Like

Somehow I doubt that JRM will be overly concerned about it.

Astonishing how he can exhort other politicians to follow the referendum result of their constituencies and completely ignore his own.

His constituency voted Leave in 2016.

Good point - thanks for that. I had checked and had thought his constituency voted remain. I must have confused him with Graham Brady/Peter Lilley/Dominic Raab/John Redwood/Liam Fox/Chris Grayling/Crispin Blunt/David Davies/Steve Baker or Ian Duncan Smith.

An honest and understandable error I am sure you will agree!

1 Like

Strange you didnā€™t use Anna Soubry as an example or any one of the dozens of MPā€™s from Leave constituencies who are doing their best to stop Brexit or at the very least demanding a 2nd referendum.:wink:

Because I donā€™t recall Anna accusing others of treachery/treason because they did not follow their constituencyā€™s referendum vote.

Anna Soubry not only ignored her constituents she also ditched the party she stood for in 2017 with Brexit as the main part of their manifesto, what a saint.

Annaā€™s saintliness is not at question here - Jacobā€™s is :slight_smile:

I do take your point however. One possible explanation of our different opinions may be his position within the ERG. I feel he should be personally responsible for all ERG memberā€™s statements as he is the chair. I realise this is a difficult circle to square as the ERG is simply a loose ā€œsupport groupā€, but maybe thatā€™s part of Westminsterā€™s problems - unaccountable loose groups like the ERG (and Momentum?) which allow individuals to make outrageous statements which are not accountable to the group as a wholeā€¦

Your thoughts?

People overplay JRMā€™s importance, he is a backbench MP and has never really suggested he wants anything more as he knows that his staunch Catholic faith is a hindrance to any sniff of power. The ERG gives him a platform to promote Brexit but I donā€™t see why he should be accountable for what the likes of Mark Francois say.

I see Momentum as a different beast in that they are a growing ā€˜grass rootsā€™ based organisation who will influence the Labour Party for many years as opposed to the ERG who are a small parliamentary group who will disappear once Brexit is dealt with.

Thereā€™s the root of our difference of opinion then. I see him as the chairman and leader of a shadowy, unaccountable, highly influential political pressure group.

I hold him completely responsible for the lies of all ERG members and the evaporation of support for his vision should cause him serious concern.

1 Like

Whereas Momentum are a bunch of harmless girl guides of course.:wink:

The fact that you admit that his support has evaporated shows how little influence he had.

Iā€™m no fan of Momentum. I recognise that the enemy of my enemy is NOT my friend! ERG/JRMā€™s mendacity does not excuse them one little bit.

And its the support for ERGā€™s vision thatā€™s evaporating, and thatā€™s what drives the (personally) amusing irony of JRMā€™s position, though I recognise I may be a bit pedantic :).