Jailed Brit.. pardoned

I shall be intrigued to see how this story unfolds… was he James Bond ??

Welcome news.

The UAE is not backing down from their claim that he was spying. I’m sure he will be glad to be home but I wonder what the long term effect on his ability to travel will be.

1 Like

thinking much the same thing… bit odd, but surely there will be a film in the making…

In a word dire!
He is a convicted felon and that charge will remain. He will have to declare it as such on any visa application.
I think his future travel options will be severely limited.

And he’s been convicted of espionage - hardly the same as nicking a few fags from the corner shop.

Given that the US ETSA questions include this specifically (and lumped in with the “are you a terrorist” question) he isn’t going to get into the 'States easily.

And with us out of FoM he might even have difficulty with European travel.

If he was innocent it still seems a pretty raw deal.

1 Like

I wonder if that is the real thinking behind the pardon: … is he innocent… not sure, so let’s pardon him which will seem humane but will curtail his movements, just in case… :thinking:

1 Like

… for which he would probably have his hand chopped off :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I think the pardon will be the UK government “having a word”

As to future travel - I guess it might be possible for him but I suspect he will not be able to go through the normal channels like ETSA.

well, let’s face it… they don’t pardon anybody…unless enough noise is made (diplomatically or otherwise).

interesting to read the full comment…

"Asking these sorts of questions ‘a risky business’ … "

Yes, irregardless of actual innocence or guilt it sounds like a high risk activity. But he was familiar with the territory and had worked as a security consultant I believe - he shouldn’t have been unaware of the issues.

Avoid all these countries like the plague.
I wouldn’t go to Turkey and Trump would probably have me arrested as well.

His supervisor at Durham is complicit in this unbelievably arrogant display of un-intelligent post-grad students. His supervisor has been well-entrenched in all sorts of intelligence committees which makes this doubly stupid. Both the ‘student’ and his interesting wife will now be faced with some choices, won’t they.

Craig Murray’s take on it…

Of course, other nations are totally innocent.
Russia, North Korea here in France and the USA are totally snow white in the espionage field.
You seem to be more concerned about the background of the Brits involved in intelligence than anything else.
The Russian GRU officers do not have any compunctions about leaving enough poison lying on the ground to poison thousands of people and I suppose that they are not all descended from the
Romanovs.
I think advocating bloody revolution might bring you to their attention and is something I do not think worthy of you.
Be careful, be very careful.

hear! hear!

When my son was about to begin his dissertation at university he considered using 9/11 as his subject. I advised him strongly against it as in later years it could prevent him entering The USA.
At the time I did think I may be overcautious but perhaps not.

1 Like

An excess of irritable bravado on my part, Jane, and your comment is well-taken. I am sure there are wise serpents in the intelligence services, and espionage is an ancient craft. :zipper_mouth_face::innocent:

Unfortunately it is one of those things that without it, especially in these dangerous times, we would certainly be at a disadvantage.
Cyber crime and espionage is expanding at a huge rate and we do need protection.