January over with, how was it for you?

First of all, welcome, Elaine. I hope you'll be very happy over here.

Here in St André January was very, very wet, as it was everywhere I think with just a little snow which didn't last long. However, the temperature stayed at quite a reasonable level so that was a bonus. It was a month for things wearing out though - the laptop, my double oven, remote for Land Rover, so not a cheap month. Glad to see the end of January though as it means we're getting nearer to Spring.

It's February I usually find more difficult to get through. I used always to go to the Caribbean for February to get away from the depressing damp, frosts and grey mistiness. Coming back with a tan always makes me feel better, but I haven't been since 2008. I will be replacing my large polytunnel cover this month and then spend time getting a lot of veggie seeds started in it. I can't wait, I love planting seeds with the promise of good things to come from them.

Not so quiet here, January! What with the ceremonie des voeux at the mairie, twelfth night shenanigans, Burns night and scottish dancing, bridge evenings etc... Social life continues in 2013 as before! Getting impatient for spring to arrive, however, and so are the bulbs!

We went to stay with our kids in Hong Kong (son) and Thailand (daughter) so basically misses it. Our normal pattern and this year really paid off as the weather at home was pretty grim. Today is no!t great either but thurs and fri were beautiful

Hi Elaine

Where in the Pays Basque did you move to?

James

January has been very notable for me as I have, at last, made the move to be a permanent resident in France.
The move went well except for my personal journey from Calais to the Pays Basque which was truly a nightmare. It rained every centimetre of the way and I had to detour in Rouen as le Pont Mathilde was closed.
The kitties and I have started to get settled in and we’re anticipating the arrival of the rest of our belongings by van on Wednesday.
The weather has been lovely this week but sadly that came to a crashing end with a tumultuous thunderstorm over night.
Off out for aperitifs this evening with colleagues from my former school’s twin. It’ll be good to catch up with old friends.