Jehovah's Witnesses

Or in case one got knocked down and had to be taken to hospital.

My mum always said that in the event of a big occasion like going to the doctors or out for sunday tea or the ending of the world etc one should ensure one is wearing clean underwear and socks !

Well David, I have tried many times to use the same tactic of blaming God for all the woes of the world and it seems that the JW God doesn't actually kick in until the world ends and the chosen ones or the ones who have chosen the JW way end up in heaven. This means, as I understand it that we are all responsable for our own actions until that time comes thus making their God blameless !! Easy Peasy...

I used to do that with the missus, she left me eventually but her mother stayed !!!

I remember a story once told by a comedian, can't remember who, of a visit by JW's who he invited in, sat them down then disapeared out of the back door and went to the pub for half an hour, he knew they would be too honest to steal anything. Of course they were gone when he came back and never appeared again. Maybe it never happened but I would love to try it one day.

They have it easy around here, this is the posh area so we have door bells !

Presumably they get a reprive from knocking on doors or perhaps that goes on for eternity

I can confirm that, Peter. Actually had two new ones here about an hour ago. I said their female colleagues already come round every couple of months and one of them said they look through for English sounding names and come to visit them. Also, if they find French owners they tell their French contingent and vice versa. I did try to tell them I'm (truthfully) in the middle of something which is on deadline but of course they still stood there talking to the dogs across the gate, a frequently used delay tactic, while trying to hand across another copy of the Watch Tower. Back to my deadline ...

Love it!

I don't need to deliberately make a dodgy cake, that happens quite naturally with some of my concoctions !!! I keep the local A & E pretty busy...

Crushed up Senna Tablets in the cake? Ho Ho!

I think they 'target' dwellings after doing their homework in some cases Roger. We lived in the sticks in France for about 20 years and were never troubled but moving to town made us easier pickings and the first JWs were British from about 25kms away who simply went through the phone book for St Junien and visited anglicised names and addresses. Word got around and other British JWs turned up closer to home.I've had a couple of visits from French JWs though totally independant of the brit connection. Sad thing is, if I know they are coming i'll bake them a cake tho' this doesn't push me closer to their doctrines but it probably makes me feel better knowing i've been civil to them at least !

An old boss of mine was busy cementing a gate-post when 2 JWs turned up. He asked them if they believed in helping their fellow man, & when they said 'Yes' he invited them to take their coats off & help him mix the cement. They went.

I've met people who have suffered by being ostracised from their close community after 'transgressing'. My time is precious & I'm careful how I use it so I tell them I'm a Christian & ask them to leave & spread the 'word' not to visit again. They often try to 'hook' me into a discussion but 'Please leave' works.

Never met any in France yet, maybe as 'Hymer' gypsies we're exempt!

I don't particularly agree or disagree with the JWs i've met and I do try to keep an open mind but I have to admit to having a kind of sneaking respect for these people. At least they appear to have some kind of solid 'faith', love it or hate it. It's something to cling to maybe in such an uncertain world ? Most JWs i've met and spoken with don't appear to be stupid people so if they are not being brainwashed then their committment to their cause is quite admirable in my eyes.

There quite a few around here and some we know as neighbours. They visit for a chat. I too have explianed that we are practicing Christians. They are always polite. Much preferable to kitchen, double glazing or insulation salesman. Thell all the latter I'm over 70 and they go away as I think it's illegal to sell by such methods to people over 70 as we are obviously feeble minded. Maybe the JWs come because of that! One annoying thing that started recently was some contractors lodging in our village twigged that my wife's tablet radiated a public wifi network and they were sitting outside our front door for hours piggy backing on it. So we switched that one off!

I shoudn’t think so.

The thing is; do they think they'll get a better seat in their heaven by shoving it up as many other people as possible?

They have only visited me once, we live out in the sticks and I told them that I am a Quaker and they went away.

However, we have had people calling me on the 'phone wanting to talk about religion and I tell them the same thing.

I just say politely, I, m Catholic and don, t discuss my religion it, s private, have a nice day..obviously in French ..lol ;)l

Hi Shirley, I feel very similar with the JWs, not threatened or overpowered. I enjoy listening to people and maybe learning something, that's why I invite them in I suppose. I don't really have fixed beliefs and remain 'open' to any new ideas though there are some principles which I cannot compromise for example, the JWs have always insisted with me that the after-life will only become reality when their God takes over though I will always believe the after-life starts as soon as we leave our physical body etc. One reason I can never be converted. I have always been polite to the JWs and can honestly say i've never had a problem with them.