Jo Johnson resigns - Is this the beginning of the end for Brexit?

Paul if only it was all that simple, the latest news is that the PM wants the brexit department closed down and he got wind of it :smiley:

Why do you keep saying you would need to change citizenship? This is an exaggeration. Yes as a third country national you would have to apply for permanent residence if you wanted to live in an EU country but that is a far cry from having to obtain citizenship or denying you the opportunity to live in Europe. Of course it wont be as easy as it is now and that to me is the biggest negative of Brexit but it certainly doesn’t close Europe to you at all.

A compliment.

To cancel britexit with no rebate and if true had to join the euro, that is the death bell for the UK, you can not manage your own destiny and currency, so no influence if low growth or too much, look at what’s been inflicted on the southern states,
Even France could have cut the value of the franc if not in the Euro, creating growth.
The Uk has I think 1.4 % growth the first 9 months- france is stalling at 0.8 that even with Britexit.

Shows he is standing up for the UK and what he believes in, not just getting paid for nothing.

Jane… I think you are perhaps replying to me in error…

I simply raised the question about “resignations” and what (if anything) they actually achieve… well, that was the gist of my post… :roll_eyes:

Because it is not certain that I would need to.
If I become a French citizen now then I am perfectly able to go through the convoluted paperwork so to do.
Leaving it until I may need to apply to live in Germany may be too late.
This is one of the nuances of the loss of freedom of movement.
Saying it is easy to apply for a Carte de Sejour now, I am 71, is true but I will need to have to renew it every ten years and I do not know how long I am going to live.
I cannot imagine that it would be as easy for me if I were 91.

1 Like

To be fair ISTR that May said she was taking direct control when Davies left so Raab and DExEU were effectively sidelined leaving Raab as not much more than a figurehead. However it was the utter incompetence of Davies which played a big part in May taking it directly under her wing.

2 Likes

Well I was thinking of resigning from Brexit.

2 Likes

Vero,
We are still in the EU.
The forecasts for growth with no deal are not rosy.

Exactly Jane - this was in response to Barrie Wildsmith.

3 Likes

If he wanted this to work he, and the rest of the Brexiteers, would have come up with a workable alternative plan that would be acceptable to the EU - where is that plan?

He’s playing for position, nothing more.

2 Likes

Could be spot on there Paul, where is Michael Gove?

I don’t think the EU was ever going to give us a decent deal, why would they.
They were holding all the cards, they drag it out as long as possible as the longer we are attached to them the longer we pay them.
In a transition period even better for them, they can stall as long as they like knowing that we are paying into the EU but have no say on anything.

My forecast were right as your chart shows, with a no deal who knows.

This is not the case, Article 50 can be withdrawn and we can stay with our existing conditions. If we were to leave then rejoining may require such things.

1 Like

Peston’s take…

:heavy_check_mark:

For what it’s worth, I can’t find a Tory MP who thinks the 48 no-confidence letters aren’t already with the 1922’s Brady. And surprising people are telling me they will vote against her, if (when?) it comes to it

It seems he’s been offered the job of Brexit Sec - which he’s “considering” but only if he can re-negotiate the deal.

Meanwhile word from the EU is that isn’t on the cards.

May holding press conference at 17:00 GMT