Jo Johnson resigns - Is this the beginning of the end for Brexit?

Jane you should’ve patented it before Apple spent billions developing those digital spectacles that do the same thing, then bought the European Union as your personal fiefdom relabelled ‘New Williamsonia’ with you as Life President :grinning::+1::checkered_flag:

3 Likes

I will be happy to share it with anyone who has a strong European outlook.

3 Likes

I’ve always seen people’s names in colour and thought it was perfectly normal until I heard it being discussed on a radio programme.
My children think it’s hilarious.

I’ve read somewhere Teresa that this ‘synaesthesia’ is much more common than was realised until fairly recently: and for the very reason that people who experience it think it’s universal, so don’t mention it to anyone else. Curious though! :thinking::blush:

1 Like

I see names in colour too, including days of the week and months, numbers too. Thought I was special!!!

2 Likes

Like Noam Chomsky, my colourless green ideas sleep furiously, but I thought everyone had the same experience while no-one never had a different one, except on orangeday at carnation-pink minutes before green o’clock on the crimsonth of turquoisary.

From Theresa May"s speech:

When you strip away the detail, the choice before us is clear.

• This deal which delivers on the vote of the referendum, which brings back control of our money, laws and borders; ends free movement; protects jobs, security and our union;
  • or leave with no deal;
  • or no Brexit at all.

I don’t think the “no Brexit at all” has been mentioned by her before.

2 Likes

Could it be that she’s beginning to realise that the Leavers ran an illegal campaign and that the wind of change is beginning to run through the country.
Perhaps she does not want to be as vilified by history as David Cameron.

I heard a lovely remark on World Business last night. It was to the effect that she would be like Churchill, drag the country through the war and get a kicking at the next election.

Parliament is going to debate the Petition “If there is no agreement to leave the EU then brexit must be stopped”.
https://petition parliament/uk/petitions/219905.
The debate is scheduled for 19 November 2018.
Immaculate timing!

One thing to remember is if we now stay in the European Union we wouldn’t get the rebate that we have enjoyed for many years,

I don’t agree with the deal she is striking, it’s better a clean break,
Like everyone else here I love freedom of movement and want easy access between Uk and Europe, but we don’t look at the bigger picture.

Germany has been the biggest winner in Europe and has most say-
Luck? No they devalued the Deutschmark when they changed to the Euro, and also insisted the southern countries were valued higher, so for ink the situation we have now with high debts and poor economies in those country’s.

Now a European army, who will run this Germany and France a good idea but the majority of countries haven’t paid the 2 % into nato that they should.
The main things I object to in Europe is lack of ambition to get rid of plastic waste, better recycling, pesticides that are cancer causing, killing the bees and insects yet they don’t ban them as they want cheap food and the big companies pay the people in power, without the insects there will be no food in 50 years never mind a EU.

They didn’t sign a total ban on ivory last week. FFS why?

They don’t do anything about Yemen and over a million children starving to death.

They do what they choose to keep the rich richer and the poor on there knees.

Look at macron , he has let in bankers earning over 100 million e a year a letting them pay no tax , we earn a Euro and pay 24 centimes.

I for one would now vote to leave, too much corruption, and when Iraly goes down we don’t want to be in here paying them out too.
Yes love our freedom of movement but there is more important things than that.

Ian Dunt - who is normally a fairly clear thinker on Brexit feels that it is not a great deal in his analysis.

We have got ourselves into a position from which there is no route forward which does not have risks and complications.

So I would have to take out French citizenship so that I could go and live with my daughter in Germany if I needed to in my very old age?
The pain and suffering that will be caused to so many families through losing the freedom of movement is a price you are willing to pay?
Just remember thst what goes around comes around and be prepared.

The EU has said freedom of movement for 90 days without a visa regardless of a deal or no deal.

Why would you choose to change nationality ? They will make us have a carte séjour to stay here and travel where we like in Europe.

But to save the planet, animals , and the future if this world is more important than freedom of movement, it’s stupid to say otherwise just to save a hour travelling.

They have said recently 80% of all animal species will be extinct in the next 50 years, plus more plastic in the ocean than fish.

Some people are very short sighted

That’s not freedom of movement, it is simply a tourist visa waiver scheme such as we have with dozens of countries, including those in Europe before we joined the EU - note that offer is conditional on reciprocity (though why we would not offer the same to EU citizens is beyond me).

When it is up and running I fully expect that we will need to apply for pre-approval through ETIAS, just like everyone else.

Yup, if fact most are which is one of the reasons politicians tend to see only as far as the next vote.

3 Likes

Is this actually the case? I thought article 50 can simply be cancelled and then continue as we were.

This article suggests it can be reversed:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2017/11/i-wrote-article-50-and-i-know-government-can-reverse-brexit-if-it-wants%3Famp

Opinion varies, I believe, as to whether the A50 process could be trivially stopped by the UK, or could be stopped with agreement with the EU27.

The A50 text itself has provisions to extend the 2-year time frame but not to reverse the withdrawal except by application of the A49 process.

I’m not an EU treaty lawyer though so, who knows?

I think britexit can be stopped but the EU stated before not on the same terms and the rebate would no longer exist, 2 other countries had smaller rebates and theirs were going to stop also.

Raab resigns

If we leave and re-join then we will not enjoy a rebate, and might well have to join the Euro - that much is clear.

If we manage to stop the process before we leave it is rather less clear, though I totally agree that the EU might try to get some concessions (or rather reverse some of our existing ones) at that point.

However I think that it is unlikely we will go down that route unless May’s deal is rejected by Parliament and the question is put to the people again (probably a bad idea but might emerge as the least worst one), with Remain on, and winning the ballot. A lot of unlikely "IF"s before we explore that possibility, I think.

Oops, so much for Cabinet being united, then. Again.

Your post seems to be contradictory Barry. In my opinion it was the leave voters who did not look at the big picture, Britain was always going to have more influence in European and world affairs within the EU.
I’d never considered that someone in your position would have been a leave voter if you have often voiced the advantages you have gained by being able to benefit from freedom of movement. As you have now left the closet, as opposed to Mr Raab who has left the cabinet, can you please answer the question asked so often before;
“If Britain crashes out of the EU how is it going to earn sufficient wealth to provide its citizens with the standard of living that they have been accustomed to and remain a major influence on world politics?”

PS I can’t agree with your views on plastics either. My experience living in Germany where I was used to paying deposits on all drinks containers and ensuring that they were recycled properly for over 15 years and the positive effect that I’ve witnessed since France changed its policy on supermarket bags are huge steps in the right direction.

1 Like

Not every country want or can to buy expensive US weapons.
Trump is pushing the issue to export more weapons.

I hope USA would do anything to reduce any of your mentioned problems. Why not add Global warming to the list. I cannot imagine UK being able to push for any of these important issues by itself.