Jo Johnson resigns - Is this the beginning of the end for Brexit?

…and now McVey has gone too. More to come?..

1 Like

Plus a junior NI minister and a PPS

Surely May can’t get this through Parliament when, once again, Cabinet say they back the deal in the evening then half of them resign the following morning.

Paul… what are your thoughts on “resignations”?? I wonder whether folk should stay in position and fight… rather than leave and allow another person to step-in and (perhaps) help pass Brexit.

It is something I have often wondered about…(and not just to do with Brexit…) :thinking:

It’s dead in the water. Parliament will surely reject it.

What could they stay and fight for? If the deal that’s been negotiated is as good as it gets, and they have reservations, resignation is the only option open.

Personally, if I’ve messed up I would think it my responsibility to fix it.

But it’s about confidence, especially for those in high office, coupled with an expectation that one will “fall on one’s sword” - figuratively if not literally. Plus legitimate questions about skill-set, obviously.

This is somewhat different though.

I thought they were meeting to discuss … I did not appreciate that they HAD to agree… (some “discussion”…hmmm)

A few years ago there was a documentary about a small manufacturing company(a bit tongue in cheek) in which the MD always said “it’s my way or the highway”…

The question now is - where to from here?

So many permutations…so little time.

It looks like we’re about to go down the route of a no confidence vote.

Such a mess.
I don’t really see what Theresa May has to lose now by saying what she really thinks.
‘David Cameron handed me a poisoned chalice so let’s put the last 2 years behind us and forget Brexit was ever a thing.’
Of course politicians are loving all this because they have good salaries, amazing pensions and the arrogance to think they’re right. And of course lying comes naturally to them.

1 Like

The position they are in requires this of them.

There are, I am sure, many honourable MPs working diligently to represent their constituencies who do not rise in government and are basically decent people.

But as you climb the greasy pole and come more into the public eye I think that you discover the public don’t want the truth - they desire to hear what they want to hear, not what they need to hear. Unfortunately for the politician who wants to climb the greasy pole to a “position of power” a lot of people need to be told what they want to hear - i.e be lied to.

Finally people don’t want politicians who are “a bit in favour” of something. It’s 100% or nothing, the public do not do nuance.

I worked with Liam Fox when he was a GP in Beaconsfield. He didn’t do nuance then either.

I don’t think you understand that the Carte de Sejour does notgive you freedom of movement.
We have taken the advice of both the French and UK governments and are just waiting to go to Macon to pick up our cards.
I do not understand your logic.
Freedom of movement is not just going to the Costa for a holiday.
If I need to live near my daughter in Munich permanently, I need to be a citizen within Schengen.
We are not people who jet off at a moment’s notice or take cruises.
In fact, my husband does not like holidays at all and stays here to look after our potager, orchard and hens.
We have installed a pompe a chaleur, double glazing and insulation throughout our house.
We are conscious of the footprint we leave upon the earth.
Yet, you seem to think it ok that I can be denied the freedom to live with or near my daughter, who lives in Munich, in my very old age.
Why?

I have to say, though, there is a delicious irony in the fact that he is resigning because a deal that he was supposed to oversee is not good enough.

He is truly a pillock.

We should stay in the EU and fight to change the stupid waste of money of having two centres of P:arliament.
They should be more democratically accountable and have to balance their books.
Just because I am against Brexit does not mean that I think the EU as presently formed is all sunshine and light.
However, it should be a bulwark against both Russia and the USA and a force for peace.
I do not want my grandsons to have to go to war.
In our family the grandfathers and great grandfathers were on opposing sides.
Not a situation I want to see again and times have changed.
Now there are more many families with ties to more than one country.

Paul, it is obvious that you are not a politician.
The last time our Labour MP for Stroud was in Parliament he was a fence sitter.
Now he is Shadow Minister for Agriculture and follows the Party line.
He voted Remain.

Eternity?
A nation even more divided than before for evermore?

Is that a compliment or a complaint?