John Bercow: PM's plan to prorogue parliament is a 'constitutional outrage'

Do people really think Liz has the power to tell Boris to ‘do one’?

Unfortunately wrong Teresa - The Queen is expected to act on the advice of her Prime Minister, even though he knows she can do sod all to countermand it.

Her Maj does not advise her Ministers - they advise her. The ‘order’ comes from the Palace on the ‘advice of the Prime Minister’.

It would have been VERY VERY unprecedented if she did not ‘follow’ that advice.

The whole pantomime is just a dance, a fig-leaf for democracy.

It is looking very like the democracy of the Weimar Republic in February 1933…

Reichstag fire | Summary, Significance, Images, Video, Enabling Act, & Facts | Britannica.

All we need now is a mysterious fire at the Palace of Westminster to complete the book. They have been warning about the state of the wiring for years…

1 Like

She has the constitutional right to be consulted, to encourage and to warn. In view of her experience if she does warn then she should be heeded.
She can also declare war, although her govt would normally do that.
Theoretically the Queen also has the right to dismiss a sitting pm, obviously she would not do this without a vote of no confidence and then only if he/ she refused to go.

When a game is to be played it is invariably a good idea to first learn the rules.
Clearly, between them, the Prime Minister, The Lord President of the Privy Council, The Leader of the House of Lords and Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal, and the Conservative Chief Whip in the Commons know the rules very well indeed. Is it their fault if other players do not bother to first read the rules ?

Very true @Debby_Wade, BoJo’s simpleton body-language and condescending smile is beginning to grate already, as is his Winnie-the-Pooh-meets-Eyore manner of speaking.

I think his reputed charisma is looking decidedly flakey the more bumbling air-poking TV exposure he gets.

Shades of Strong and Stable and “Nothing has changed. Nothing Has Changed!!!

1 Like

Just about sums it up!!!

It is bizarre and truly wasteful how few days Parliament has actually sat to discuss Brexit since the EU granted the 7 month extension in March.

At the time of the extension the EU warned that the time should not be wasted. We are now 5 months through the 7 month process.

Reading the comments here, no one seems to realise that Mr Bercow himself didnt exactly follow protocol earlier this year, in fact he tore up the rule book. He is a very biased individiual and not the impartial subject he should be, so kettle calling pan black in my view.

I thought John Bercow was enabling further debate on Brexit, hardly undemocratic.

1 Like

I think the above is unfair to the monarch - who did her job. She might advise senior ministers but they do not have to heed that advice and her actual role is little more than a ceremonial rubber stamp.

1 Like

That’s why I like him. He’s putting the country first.

1 Like

Signed . Awaiting e mail confirmation