I’m out mowing under our walnut tree, hopefully to clear up the remaining walnuts and their coatings. Our dogs love finding the nuts and cracking open the cases. Vita crunches up the whole thing - nut AND hard case. Unfortunately the black mold that forms on the case when it’s a wet autumn is poisonous to dogs and can kill them. Given that this has been a VERY wet autumn, I’m not taking any chances and I’m aiming to find as many as possible. They get tucked in the long grass and if they are missed in a few weeks time they will be deadly.
Thanks for the warning.
I understand grapes are similarly problematic. The high rockface into which our house is built is covered in wild vines - probably fer(al) servadou from the last century, or even pre-phylloxera . Anyhow, bunches of grapes have been falling down onto our terraces for several weeks and they’re a constant worry.
Thank you for letting me know I had no idea they were poisonous to dogs.My dog will eat anything so I will def heed your warning