Just joined........hello!

Hi Norah, thanks for your two posts, very good to have your input.

Spot on about learning the language.

I must say the health insurance overall seems something of a nightmare, even for the 6 month stay I'm not clear what's needed exactly (pre retirement). My money is on an extended travel insurance policy combined with the EHIC though I'm still trying to work out whether that is enough. Got a feeling that if I had done this 30 years ago none of this would have occurred to me or, if it had, wouldn't have tried so hard to get all the "i's" dotted etc :-)

The Creuse is a nice part of the world Adrian but it does get very nippy in the average cooler season from say mid october to mid march so beware ! Summers are usually great as it doesn't usually get 'too' hot.

I live on the Haute Vienne/Charente border wher the climate is milder tho' still relatively nippy in the cooler seasons.

As a general rule I have found milder weather the more west I travel but usually more rainy which you would expect. After spending most of my adult life in either Normandy or the Limousin & Poitou Charentes I think i'm ready to spend the coming retirement years further south and slightly west mainly in an attempt to find milder climes. So somewhere like the Gers area may be worth exploring ? Maybe people living in the Gers or environs would be kind enough to inform me of the climate etc in your part of the world ?

Hello Doreen, thats interesting to hear, I think if we could get that (Pompey type of weather) we'd be quite pleased, maybe warmer in summer hopefully! I have to say over recent years it's been pretty damp here a lot of the time.

It was magical though, very pretty and short lived - same as the summer in Cornwall!!

Thanks James

Yes the cold would certainly be a factor though personally we kid ourselves that we are only rain averse! Our exploratory stay roughly covers 3 seasons but conveniently ignores winter, we're very mindful of that. Hey ho, see how we get on with the first three.

Adrian, if you are retired and intend to live permanently in France you need to apply for a Carte Vitale at your local CPAM office. I believe there is information on SFN outlining the semantics. We only waited a short time for ours but there are not many expats living in this area. I have heard, on SFN, of people waiting months to receive their cards. You cannot access the french health service without it. Most people then get a "top up" or mutuelle assurance to go with it. But we managed with just the carte vitale for quite a long time before taking out a top up.

We're in the Midi-Pyrénées, far enough not to have the mountain weather but it still gets very cold in winter! Coming from Cornwall we were not prepared for the minus temperatures, out first year we had -15 for 2 weeks!

Hi Victoria

Thanks for getting in touch, well now you've asked....

I've copied this from my reply to Tony so you may have already read this:-

"Our plan is to spend 6 months renting next year in the Creuse to get as much as a "living there" feel as we can. Will include exploring some of the areas further afield that we are not so familiar with to see whether we'd be better off elsewhere! Basically 6 months from May to see what we like and where that is, get involved with the language and culture plus track down the house we could see ourselves staying for the duration.

We have so far found a place to rent between Chenier and Aigurande which will be our base. We don't expect to buy anywhere until early 2015 so lighting a long fuse just at the present."

Where to start on my knowledge gaps??! I think the problem I have is nailing down what's needed for the 6 month stay, a glorified (late) Gap Year. Should add that we wont be working out there during the 6 months and our 2015 move would be as retirees, possibly with a B&B or gite in due course.

There is a lot of information about moving to France period, yet there seems to be limited straight forward guidance about what needs to be in place for a 6 month stay. So it would be helpful to get a nod just now whether what I've gleaned is along the right lines or if I'm way off the mark.

So on the basis that our stay will be 5 months 3 weeks I think that:-

• I'm ok re UK & French taxes which will be paid in Uk but not France
  • My residency status wont change
  • I wont need a carte de sejour (though I could apply for one if I want to)
  • I may need to register with the local administration (do I in fact?)
  • My car wont need to be re-registered
  • My EHIC card will be valid for that period and element of health cover
  • That I'll need to get another form of health cover (but what?)

If I can put these elements to bed I can focus on the main game re the house move.

Sorry, long winded but any light you can shed would be merciful.

Regards

Hello Adrian, welcome to SFN. I am not an expert on France, but if I can help, I am happy to do so.

We were lucky that my brother in law lived here for 12 years before we arrived. We are in the South Mayenne, Pays de la Loire. If it hadn't been for the family connection we would probably have moved further south. But property is still cheap here and we do have a micro climate so that even when the south is blanketed in snow for days, it is an event to have more than two days worth here! Anyway, I think you are doing the right thing by renting, taking your time and having a look around. If I could give just one piece of advice though (something we only did half heartedly and now regret) - learn to speak French the best you can as soon as you can. If you speak French you can conquer the country! Bon chance to you.

Welcome to SFN Adrian!

I did little research, didnt know the area i moved to , neither me or my partner had ever been here i was 5 months pregnant and couldnt speak french and knew nobody!! best move we ever made i live in lege capferret south west coast is amazing very very french we have lots of french friends no english! i have learnt to speak french and my son loves the school here he is now 3 and a half and im opening a business with a friend here ! its not all been up hill sailing but life is certainly good !

hi adrian what do you need to know and where are you looking ? and welcome to the group !

Thanks Rosanne, good to hear from you. Creuse for us currently as a base and (initial) preferred option.

Whereabouts are You?

Regards

Hi Lynn,

Yes totally agree with you. We've been many many times for holidays all over France and have read as much as I can take, still its no substitute for being on the ground and making it as real as possible!

The Creuse is our preference (see my reply to Tony), although Lisa has an eye on general weather which may be a bit wet for her liking, we shall see......possibly somewhere further south?

Regards

Hi Tony, great to hear from you and so local too!

Our plan is to spend 6 months renting next year in the Creuse to get as much as a "living there" feel as we can. Will include exploring some of the areas further afield that we are not so familiar with to see whether we'd be better off elsewhere! Basically 6 months from May to see what we like and where that is, get involved with the language and culture plus track down the house we could see ourselves staying for the duration.

We have so far found a place to rent between Chenier and Aigurande which will be our base. We don't expect to buy anywhere until early 2015 so lighting a long fuse just at the present.

What about yourselves, what and where for you?

Adrian

Thanks Suzanne, good to be in the mix.

Hello, We all have had our learning curves so you will discover a mine of information I am sure. Where do you plan to land?

Hi Adrian,

welcome!!

Before we moved with our young children 13 years ago we did 3 months research into the in's and outs. It was worth doing but can't replace the experience of being here and from those who've lived here for a while. the only thing I'd say is that they are just experiences and so long as you are committed to making your life here work, there should be no reason why it won't!

Where are you looking at moving to?

best wishes

Hi Adrian, welcome to SFN! There is lots of useful info on here so do use the search box top left with your keywords, otherwise fire away and plenty of members will try to help I am sure x