Just starting our new adventure

(Julia Say) #1

Morning
Thank you for letting us join.
It’s the very start of the journey for us, we’ve just had an offer accepted on a holiday home in the dordogne so now the legal fun starts.
We’re just planning holidays for now (though lots of them - long and short breaks) but hope in a few years to be able to move permanently.
I’ve been reading lots of topics on here and it really seems like a fantastic source of information and chatter from fosse issues to football.
Looking forward to being part of the community though I know nothing about fosse or football!!

5 Likes
(Graham Lees) #2

except that - given the cost of flights, accommodation etc to get to Bacu, there is a broad similarity cost wise :crazy_face:
BTW, welcome to the forum :smiley:

(Jeanette Leuers) #3

Hello Julia, every possible good wish for a happy future, may all your hopes and dreams come true. I know nothing about anything, but have survived France for 22 years, without major disasters, so far. My top favourite in depth, help resource is https://europa.eu/youreurope/advice/
all the best…

1 Like
(Julia Say) #4

Thank you Graham and Jeanette,
Will look at that website, need all the help we can get I think.
I’m in obsessive planning mode now, I know it all takes time - nothing happens fast in France - but can’t help wishing the time to go faster!

2 Likes
(Timothy Cole) #5

Of course Julia knows nothing about football, she’s a woman.:grinning:

2 Likes
(Simon Armstrong) #6

Well I’m firmly with Julia on the football front - I’d rather stick pins in my eyes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like
(Mat Davies) #7

You will soon know about fosse - you very quickly get passed the point that it is awkward to talk about.

We bought here about 4 years ago as a holiday home and had no intention of moving here permenantly - but 2 months ago we did exactly that and now wake up to this view:

Good luck - it will be a blur, just make sure to sit back from time to time to enjoy it fully.

4 Likes
(Mandy Davies) #8

Hello Julia

Welcome to our helpful and friendly forum. You must be very excited to be starting your French adventure.

Embrace France and all its joys and foibles and it will be a fabulous experience.

Oh, and ignore our Timothy, he’s a bit weird :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smirk:

(Graham Lees) #9

and the setting of the sun from our terrace

(Véronique Langlands) #10

Nice irises!

1 Like
(Julia Say) #11

Wow that looks beautiful, life isn’t bad that starts and ends that way.

(Timothy Cole) #12

A compliment, thanks Mandy.:wink:

2 Likes
(Mandy Davies) #13

You’re welcome Tim! :grin::kissing_heart:

1 Like
(Lily Stevens) #14

Welcome Julia :wave:

(James Higginson) #15

Welcome @Julia261 :slight_smile:

(stella wood) #16

Hello @Julia261 and welcome to “the madhouse” …:upside_down_face::wink:

We’ll do our best to answer questions and give moral support, as you embark on this wonderful adventure… oh… and most importantly… we throw a little humour into the mix (ok… a lot of humour)… :wink::relaxed::relaxed::hugs:

(Norman Clark) #17

Never thought I would hear that sort of courage on SF - hope you have a tin hat handy?

(Timothy Cole) #18

No need for a tin hat if you speak the truth Norm. I often ask the OH to explain the ‘offside rule’, keeps her quiet for hours.:grinning:

(Teresa Shipley) #19

A male colleague had a similar attitude until I told him exactly the offside rule. He was impressed and surprised. My father is football mad!

(Sandra Shadrach) #20

Welcome, and have LOTS of fun setting up your holiday home. Such a lovely region, you will enjoy it!