Just want Internet

Don’t want cable or satellite TV or mobile, just Internet. Orange appeals because they have an English phone desk. But I cant find any Orange offer that just provides internet. Am I going down the wrong track?

We will be using the internet for googling, streaming football matches and some cameras.

Thanks for any pointers.

(Please don’t assume I have any tech knowledge of internet thingies. We know how to stream football over a VPN and thats our limit)

Graeme

We have Orange and don’t take their TV or mobile or anything else - just a live box for the internet (fibre) and a telephone plugged into the back. We are paying about 47€ -48€ a month

1 Like

“Livebox Fibre” or just “Livebox” for xDSL lines - 36,99 € per month (after the initial 12 months discount) for Internet & phone. Yes you get TV, but you don’t have to watch it :slight_smile:

If you really want Internet and nothing else then Google “Internet seul”.

1 Like

Thank you.

Does every house have a choice of cable or ADSL?

For internet, you could consider a 4G router from the likes of Bouygues Telecom - see the separate topic about this here.
In many cases, 4G is faster than ADSL but no so much as fibre to the home - if such an option is available in your location.

1 Like

@graham I read that thread - it was too complex for me to grasp! But many thanks for the pointer.

Which bits were “complicated”?
We use the Bouygues offer and it works very well for us. IIRC, there is a link to see if there is a 4G mast and availability in range of where you live.

1 Like

Do you think this is realistic? :

1 Like

There are almost 300 posts. Started off OK then wandered all over the place; its good, its bad, I did this and that :laughing:

1 Like

If you have specific questions which trouble you, fire away…

1 Like

Am I correct in thinking this is pitiful??

Very very slow.

1 Like

Yep… that’s what I thought… it’s no wonder the commune is crossing fingers for fibre…

May be pitiful but we managed on no more this for the last 14 years until Orange installed fibre last year. In fact we were fine - including getting Netflix and Amazon with no problems.
Sometimes I wonder what difference (if any) fibre makes to our lives. But then I don’t play online games etc.

Attached is a screenshot showing my internet (fibre) speeds.
This reading is pretty typical, on a good day I get over 1000Mbps.
Provider is Orange.

1 Like

neither do I… but in the course of my “serious” activities… I will be on the web and the slowness does irritate me from time to time.

$ iperf3 -c speedtest.serverius.net -p 5002 
Connecting to host speedtest.serverius.net, port 5002
[  4] local 92.14.171.188 port 36388 connected to 178.21.16.76 port 5002
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr  Cwnd
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  54.3 MBytes   455 Mbits/sec   92   1.06 MBytes       
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  60.0 MBytes   504 Mbits/sec    0   1.12 MBytes       
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  63.8 MBytes   535 Mbits/sec    0   1.17 MBytes       
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  65.0 MBytes   545 Mbits/sec    0   1.20 MBytes       
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  63.8 MBytes   535 Mbits/sec    0   1.22 MBytes       
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  63.8 MBytes   535 Mbits/sec    0   1.23 MBytes       
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  63.8 MBytes   535 Mbits/sec    0   1.27 MBytes       
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec  65.0 MBytes   545 Mbits/sec    0   1.31 MBytes       
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  63.8 MBytes   535 Mbits/sec    0   1.34 MBytes       
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  63.8 MBytes   535 Mbits/sec    0   1.38 MBytes       
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Retr
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   627 MBytes   526 Mbits/sec   92             sender
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec   625 MBytes   525 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

TalkTalk in the UK, officially 500Mbps, we’re on VDSL in France - can have fibre if want but to be honest the 70/14 that we get is more than enough for use when we are there.

It’s not good.

For a long time the best I could do was 64kbps ISDN, we were on a very long phone line so missed the initial 250kbps ADSL roll out (I tried, BT said “no” very firmly) - that would be 2001/2002 ish and it wasn’t for some years before it was made available on lines as long as ours - the first time I plugged a modem in I got just over 1Mbps which seemed incredible compared with 64kbps, but was slow by the “up to 8Mbps” of the day. Eventually I discovered a certain brand of modem had a bug which allowed one to tweak the line settings out of spec and I managed to get 3Mbps.

That went on for ages - we got VDSL late locally (2011 ish) and, again, had a relatively long line at 600m so, again, not super speeds - originally 40Mbps (just), it now sits at about 50Mbps.

2.1Mbps should be OK for browsing but it’s going to be too slow for much video watching.

How come it’s so slow - are you on an ancient and long ADSL line like we used to be, or is it 4G but not that great a signal?

Seriously though, what do you use that for - indeed have you got the full line speed at all/any of your devices? I guess the answer is yes as you posted the speed test result :slight_smile:

I had the option of 900Mbps with TalkTalk but chose the 500Mbps package as I felt it was abetter balance between price & performance.