K2K Kinsale to Kolkata, 10,000k charity ride, but will they be passing 'chez vous'?

HELLO EVERYONE. I'm MASSIVELY proud, to announce that my son Sam Edstrom, is taking part in a charity bike ride this spring. a gigantic 6000 MILES/1000 KILOMETRES across 9MONTHS, starting this MARCH/APRIL.

He's been planning it for a couple of years now, with 2 friends, Joe and Will, from Ireland. …....they say it best on their own webpages..........

« We plan to cycle the 10,000 kilometers from Kinsale in Ireland to Kolkata in the north east of India to raise money for the HOPE foundation who work with disadvantaged children in the slums of Kolkata, our goal is to raise one euro for each kilometer we cycle. »

The ride will start in KINSALE, southern Ireland, and finish in KOLCATA (Calcutta) India, around 6 months later. Hence the title « K2K »

The 1st leg of their journey after travelling by ferry from CORK will bring them through FRANCE, heading for ITALY ;

It looks as if they'll be docking at ROSCOFF, up there on the north eastern FINESTERE coast, .

They'll be following closely to the "EUROVELO" ROUTES Firstly, on the EUROVELO 1 , from ROSCOFF to NANTES, where they pick up the EUROVELO 6 which winds it's merry way eastwards across France, EUROVELO 6 ends at the town of Tulcea in the Danube Delta. but K2K will head south after meeting the Rhone.

K2K will be probably be avoiding Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan, keeping north, heading into India on the Nepal side, via either Kazakstan, Turkmenistan or Usbekistan.

The boys have saved their own funds and borrowed cash and equipment to keep them going for the 9 months of the adventure. All donated money will go straight to the charity, who are supporting « K2K » with the use of a sat nav mapping system and support finding the visas.

The trip is entirely funded by the boys and by the good nature of all folks along the route.

Equipment, if donated, can be auctioned off after the ride, to try and raise even more cash. So if there are any generous cycle or camping suppliers willing to sponser the boys in any way, the guys will no doubt be delighted to hear about it. Contact them now, to find out about the opportunities to advertise your companies support on the various publicity about the ride.

I'm hoping to help the project by roping in any SFNers to spread the word or offer free places for the three intrepids to stay en route through France. It doesn't need to be the height of luxury, since they will be carrying full survival gear, but I'm sure they'd very much appreciate a secure bit of free ground to pitch up on and a pointer to the nearest loo and washing basin.

I think as a mother of one of them, what I really hope for is somewhere safe for them to pitch every night, so they enjoy the trip as much as they possibly can and don't have to risk loosing valuble equipment, much needed rest or motivation.

I'm sure friends here on SFN and many more of you will join in, by helping them help their chosen charity in some small way, even if you are not near to the two cycle routes or able to donate money.

• by clicking a few times on the « like/ follow» buttons ( FACEBOOK, TWITTER) to spread the word to your French/European and Worldwide contacts,

• go to the K2K webpage and follow the trip.

• push a few more buttons to donate a little something to K2K for the HOPE charity,

• or even perhaps you live along the EUROVELO 6 or EUROVELO 1routes and could offer the lads a place to stay ?

I imagine fondly, that some SFNers might get rather enthusiastic about the prospect of meeting them,(they are great people, of course) watching the blog to see when they will arrive, welcoming 3 saddle-weary chaps, hear them kipping in tents on their front lawn, explaining to the neighbours what on earth's going on, or even introducing them to a bit extra of the local French colour, or helping out with local knowlegde, before patting them fondly on the back, ( if you're the huggy type, give my lad an extra hug from me, please), and waving them along their merry way towards India.

If you have any questions and are unable to get in touch with the boys directly, please don't hesitate to contact me, Jo Blick via SFN messaging here or Tel 0549034953 or mobile 0602396524. jopublick@rocketmail.com

These are the main towns along the first leg.

Roscoff

Morlaix

Carlais Plouger

Gouarec …...............thanks to Graham for a place to stay here*:)

Bon-Repos

Mur de Bretagne

Saint Aignan

Pontivy

Rohan

Josselin

Malestroit

Redon

Guenrouet

Blain

La Chevallerais

Sucé & La Chgapelle sur Edre

Nantes

Now en route to PONTIVY a very welsh sounding name there!

I hope everyone gets a chance to see what this is about, and I've made this map to make the route spring to life....https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204326437105904517309.0004d9372c6921dccc4f0&msa=0

Hello, the boys are on their way to Gouarec, where they should be staying this evening.

This blog is a replacement for the original one, which unfotunately got lost whilst editing somehow, I'm sorry if your comments are all gone and thanks hugely for all your support....

IT'S STARTED! They left yesterday from the Blue Haven Hotel, in Kinsale, Cork, Ireland, and got the ferry from Cork to Roscoff. They docked about 7am and cycled for a 2and a half hours before lunch. They're right now heading for the forest in Morlaix to find a good camping spot.

There might be a change to the route, but I shall post it as soon as I know more............watch this space :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=585615568118235&set=a.5...

thanks to everyone who commented before on this blog, It got lost whilst editing somehow, sorry if your comments are all gone and thanks hugely for all your support....

Well, fair play to them ! I wish them every success in their venture.