Keeping car documents in or out

No, it won’t. The law could not be clearer - you must present the original carte grise & a photocopy is not acceptable except for hire cars.
A photo on your phone would not meet the “original” definition either, as it would still be just an electronic photocopy.

1 Like

Which is why it would be very useful if the current trials with Apple and Google in a number of countries to store driving licenses and identity documents in their wallet apps went well. Then the majority of people in the west will be able, should they wish, to have a secure digital version of anything like this on their phone, although France being France I can quite imagine them being the last country in the world to accept it instead of having to produce the paper original.

1 Like

they have gained experience in this with the passe sanitaire surely which must have improved confidence in the technology?

3 Likes

Re stuff stored on the phone… sunny day, sitting in the garden of a lovely Resto, watching people arrive.
May we see your Passe (whatever it was)… some offered the document itself, some zapped their phone successfully… and some floundered. One such flounderer was the wife whose husband had wafted his document and was sitting looking rather smug at his table. The wife waved her phone this was and that, trying to get a signal… while the rest of us held our breathe, waiting to see if Hubbie would have to eat alone… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
All was well in the end… hurrah.

Yes, I’ve admitted myself a number of times that the last few years has been pretty transformative for France in terms of IT, which I think (but could be wrong) to give him his dues was one of Manu’s pledges for his first term. While things like ANTS haven’t necessarily gone smoothly the difference between when he took office and now is undeniable. It’s always baffled me given France has so many great tech and infrastructure companies that they were so behind on a lot of this stuff, but things are changing and quickly so there is definitely hope!

1 Like

That would have been a waste of time. In Tousanticovid a local copy of the pass is stored on your phone, meaning that it is accessible even when your phone has no internet access.

4 Likes

corporate inertia perhaps? or a reluctance by some elements to change… (Gendarmerie and fonctionaires, although the Gendarmerie do use tech quite extensively, so puzzling if they are malcontent).

1 Like

That is possibly why the husband was looking smug… it took her what seemed like ages to provide what was needed.

Incidentally… I know that folk kept a photo of the document on their phones… not everyone uses Apps.

and only the other day OH took photos of the details on his old tyres using his phone … then couldn’t find the photos when chatting to the garagist… ooops.

I’m not ready to put my life on a small wedge of electronics yet, too easy to lose, break, not have a signal, software to crash, battery to go flat or have stolen.
Even a backup won’t help at that precise moment unless you carry a spare phone too.

3 Likes

full circle in this topic then @anon90504988
That’s where we began :slightly_smiling_face:
OTOH, I do have to rely on a wedge of electronics - my pacemaker/ defibrillator without which disaster could strike at any time…
difficult to steal in my case though as it’s sewn into my chest :grin:
Regular check ups (such as yesterday) ensure the battery is still functioning (amongst other things) and should last at least till the next contrôle in 12 months.

3 Likes

There are some “must have” bits of electronic gadgetry… that’s fair enough.
A smart phone is not quite in the same category… :rofl: :roll_eyes:
(glad the checkup went well)

1 Like

it can be where the medical device and the smart phone are linked to alert medics where there’s a problem…

1 Like

I’m sure we can chew this from here to eternity… you and I both know what we mean… :rofl: :wink: :roll_eyes:

A friend has an implanted defibrillator, it is amazing!! Basically like have a SAMU person sitting on your shoulder. Technology has made such incredible strides.

And maybe one day France will even recognise digital nomads!

1 Like

Quite a remarkable device. The surgeon who fitted it conducts the contrôles and he tests it by firing it off remotely for a brief period - like being thumped in the chest repeatedly!

I’ve got a pace maker - not quite the same as a defibrillator, but similar. I had my first check up after 3 months recently and he put a suction pad to my chest attached to wires to his laptop and printed off three months’ worth of my heart’s behaviour. Amazing. He decided I needed tuning up a trifle and adjusted my pacemaker from his portable.
Looking at the graph, he now knows all about me! :thinking:

3 Likes

That made me smile broadly! May it keep on ticking…

1 Like

That is such good advice captain.

Though I’ve been sorely, sorely tempted to do as John S. “They have all the power.” No point if they can waste days of your time, or in some parts of the world, get you dead. Being right won’t help you then, will it.

A thread on another forum about who can drive what in what country on what licence: a case in Spain

A Brit was was pulled over and, although what he was doing he protested was allowed, he ended up down the nick and spent a night banged up.

Next day, after ‘checking’, the cops agreed that he was correct, he was not contravening any laws, here are your keys, there’s the exit, enjoy the rest of your holiday.

1 Like

No wonder us blokes need a handbag in France!

Mrs D always tells me (she is technically French) that one would be OK if one could get the docs to a Police station soonish. I see here though that one has 5 days and would still be hit with a fine (albeit less) for not having the originals.