Koyaanisqatsi

Not sure why my thoughts drifted to this film just now - perhaps because the concept of a life out of balance seems so appropriate in today’s world.

If you have not seen it, then it is quite powerful (there were 2 “sequels” but I don’t think either had the impact of the original) but it is not everyone’s cup of tea, I’ll admit (no dialogue, just 80 and a bit minutes of imagery set to a Philip Glass score) but it is worth it just for the photography of the doomed rocket launch right at the end.

Apologies that the only YT version I can find is split ito 10 minute chunks.

3 Likes

That one plays backwards. :slight_smile:

Yours refuses to play on my iPad for some reason so I found another.

Blame YouTube, not me :slight_smile:

Oh heavens, that brings back memories - but I think it also dates us!

2 Likes

I agree. This was prescient in its time and remains an eloquently beautiful commentary and caution on “a way of life that calls for another way of being. KOYAANASQATSI.”

The message is that technology is living through us, we are no longer self-awarely alive but merely an expression of the machine, fulfilling its mindless purpose, which is control for control’s sake.

Hyperbolic maybe, one has to shout above the clatter which has driven out the authentic voice, perhaps. “Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light!”

Too true Jane. A bit like ‘2001 - Space Odd’, back in the day, the first three rows at the big London cinemas a freaking bunch of blokes (never saw women doing this) out of their heads.