La Chasse - are they really a law unto themselves?

You are not alone.
There are areas where hunting (of any sort) is carried out correctly, according to the Rules.

Sadly, there are other areas where folk disregard the rules and this can (and does) make life very difficult/unpleasant for ordinary people there.

1 Like

Hi Sue,
Sounds like you’ve a few yokle locals in the area, maybe this can give some inspiration

It’s a lot more regular than that. It’s very frequent, probably weekly in season. I think that part of the difference here is that we do have so much wild open space for the hunters, and that the chasse does have a good relationship with local people. They hold events a couple of times a year which are very well attended … I’ve been and it’s very informative.

Interesting example of people (quite reasonably) believing what they’re told …

I stopped to talk to an elderly couple walking in the (state/ dominiale) forest today, here in Seine Maritime. Both were wearing gilets jaunes.

They explained that they had it on unimpeachable authority that you can now be fined 135€ if you walk/bike/ride in the forest during the chasse season without hi-viz clothing. They believed the legals onus was on users to make themselves visible to chasseurs.

This situation is completely untrue here in Seine Maritime, according to the former Adjoint for the area that we checked with immediately after hearing this. The latter suspected a particular individual associated with the local Chasse federation of spreading false rumours. Any such decision would have been widely advertised, in advance…in the unlikely event of it actually being agreed.

One has to laugh or cry … 2 sources saying completely the opposite… :roll_eyes: :wink:

Incidentally, if I were walking in a forest during Chasse Season… I would be wearing my highviz and making a lot of noise (as usual… )… seems good sense to me.

3 Likes

Basic hi-vis is a bit sweaty - it’s only meant to be worn for a short time while you’re standing by the side of the road freezing in the rain, or sweltering under the sun.

OTOH chasseurs’ new obligatory dayglo camo isn’t great for walking, as it’s not usually made of modern technical fabrics. And most of the really good outdoor gear seems increasingly to eschew vibrant colours. However after seventeen years’ service, my olive coloured rucksack needs replacing and I think something like this is the way to go
Sac à dos haute visibilité (t2sworkwear.fr)

I just purchased a hi viz raincover for my rucksack and that does the trick very well, allowing you to use a ‘normal’ rucksack, meanwhile adorn it with hi viz during the hunting season when needed :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

It seems that the government is preparing the ground for a Ministerial announcement on Monday.
The chasse will not be banned on Sundays, (which 80% of French people want, per the most recent poll), but that people can instead use an app to see where the chasseurs are, in real time…hmm.

"Le dimanche, c’est pratiquement impossible d’aller randonner " : les applis pour indiquer les chasses en cours aux promeneurs, une bonne idée inaboutie

3 Likes

What use is an app. Who will be constantly updating it as they charge round the countryside in their 4X4s to a different area? We have seen dogs followed by hunters move several kilometres in no time at all as they chase sanglier. Totally impractical.

5 Likes

It presupposes one has cell phone reception and doesn’t take into account the fact that most hunting accidents are caused by people breaking the existing rules. Whereas a no hunting day makes it much harder for rules to be broken unless people are hunting without dogs and with silencers on their weapons.

Sunday’s an ideal non-hunting day as most hunters are retired and free to hunt during the week

2 Likes

Hmm… what makes you think that???

We have 3 Chasse in our commune. I would say that 30% are retired and the rest range from 20 upwards…
I heartily agree that, in the main, it’s folk breaking the rules which cause most accidents…

I think it’s politicians not listening to what most people want, regarding hunting.

Just found this…

“There are about 1.2 million hunters in France, and together with their supporters and families, this could represent a pool of around five million voters.”

2 Likes

Principally direct observation of hunters in the Aveyron, Cantal and Lot.

Incidentally the average age of hunters in France in 2019 was ‘over forty-five’ and the largest social group, retraités célibataires

Is there a restriction regarding where folk with gun permits are allowed to hunt?

I see many younger (~under 30) around the Luberon but am wondering if they actually come here on ‘hunting holidays’? It certainly was the case on pheasant shoots in UK.

I think @Bonzocat ’s point about families playing the numbers is also an interesting point. Unless, they only count permit/gun holders and not just supporters in the vote?

So true. The thought of anyone updating an app is laughable when it seems to be a frequent occurrence that hunters have not even spent a split second double-checking what they are shooting before doing so.

In the last month, two dogs have been shot near me. Both out on a walk, and one was on a farm track and not in the woods. Obviously I worry every time I walk mine in the forest during the hunt season.

The other thing is having done an experiment with a GPS tracker on one of my dogs, it loses signal all the time in the woods. Said dog now has to remain on lead as the tracker worked well enough to establish he was going quite far and crossing roads.

Pop into your local hunting and fishing shop and you’ll see a whole rack of hunter’s orange kit, including very lightweight and breathable mesh much like the regular yellow hi-vis vests that you can just wear over your outer layer.

I’d get a mesh backed cap in the same orange while you’re there as the head is often the first part of a person you see.

We’ve been shot at whilst walking on a public road (not chemin) and no amount of hi-vis gear would have prevented that as the guy who emptied both barrels in our direction simply didn’t follow the rules.

Good grief… it nearly always comes down to that… follow the Rules and all should be well… ignore the Rules and … who knows… :roll_eyes:

Yesterday… we didn’t meet any hunters but several drivers who seemed hell-bent on ignoring every safe rule of the road…
So guns/cars/whatever… lethal weapons in the wrong hands…
Is it just something lacking in their brains or is it the idea that somehow “they” will never have an accident… :rage:

1 Like

How did you react Tim17?

And what did the shooter have to say for himself?

I will be very interested to see what restrictions the government puts on La Chasse.
It’s clear (to me at least) that something needs to be done… but just how one stops “a hunter” from being a complete plonker (and a dangerous one at that)… I’m not sure.

Incidentally, the recent report that 80% of French voted for a ban on Sunday Hunt… is just a little deceptive… as only 1,000 people answered the question.

and, the latest Hunt related death a few days ago, was when a Chasseur mortally wounded himself while putting his weapon into his car…
Rules say the weapon should not have been loaded… but, of course, we know how folk forget the rules… (and some simply ignore them)… any needless death is so sad…

EDIT: Réalisé sur un échantillon représentatif de 1 000 personnes/Carried out on a representative sample of 1,000 people

2 Likes