Languages and Elitism - this video will make you laugh!

Hi all

My first impression upon coming here just over 3 years ago to marry a French surgeon, is that the French never stop criticising. Elitist and perfectionist (well, at least in my french word - a surgeon is a fully paid-up member of the élite by default) - I got quite depressed at the thought that whatever I did, it would never be enough. Not just in learning French - but everything - would I ever BE good enough?

Happily, the younger generation are more balanced. For those who've made headway in their French, here's a video to make you giggle. I like the bit where he waxes lyrical about the French language (to cover his lack of ability in speaking English) - then spouts a load of "Kaira" (hoody) language. tee hee.

For those whose French won't allow them to watch, this ado/twenty something is having a humourous rant about those who proclaim themselves to be bilingual French/English and attempt to make others feel inferior (while actually making themselves look like a twit).

There is humour in France after all!

Apologies if you can't understand the French - but I hope you appreciate the "gesture" that this kind of thing exists (i.e. the French are sometimes as fed up as we are of being made to feel inferior!)

Happy Monday!

Emily

I always thought the Brits had the upper hand when it came to complaining. When I lived in the UK everyone complained all the time. When my father died, every neighbour around us found something to complain about, about us, and I assure you we are quite normal. Here everyone leaves you in peace. When I wander around my local town on market day and hear piped music in the street I think this would not be possible in the UK as everyone would be complaining immediately to the town hall - the same for the all night open air discos at the village fêtes or on 14th July. In the supermarket, if someone is being slow in the queue I am the only one to look impatient, everyone else is too polite to show it. OH's are a different matter of course. People are always judging you in the UK.

I could have done with subtitles. Same on the street sometimes.

i Andrew, The gender of about 80% of all French nouns is predictable. It is the "terminaison" that determines it.For example: La condition; la concentration; la beauté; une université. Of course there are additional rules and none is very difcult. For example: infinitives are masculine: le manger, le dîner. A lot of métiers" have a masculine and a feminine and in spoken French it is the ending (the consonant is pronounced) that makes the difference.Le boulanger/la boulangère. A useful guide is the distinction between male and female first names: F.Françoise [z]; François [wa];Jacqueline [ine]; Jacques, etc. Hope this helps, Adrian

He is shy and hesitant,, it will take time but he is determined to get there.

Very funny, and so true!

I'm an English teacher and I have to remind my students regularly they don't have to be perfect to speak!!

Did you see the show last Friday when they were all on M6 - Cyprien, Norman, Julfou etc. It was very funny in places but also resembled an ado school show in others.

Glad things are better for you. :)

Where are you going to take Grade 8 piano? I didn't think the French had that system.

Norman's great. I've watched many of his vids, and he seems to manage to hit the nail on the head on each subject.

I know what you mean about the never being good enough. I was married to a surgeon and got the same treatment. Then he found a young French partner mark II and I have no trouble feeling good enough without him. The French elite live in a very mean-spirited little world where they despise anyone who is not one of them. My ex-h is very good at despising.

Brilliant! Haha…nicking it! :slight_smile:

Loved it. Will show my kids.

mdr ;-)

Yes, definitely funny. At the weekends we are having an 18 year old visiting to get his English better. I missed this last visit, but his first one two weeks ago found him telling us that French isn't cool which is why he wants to know more English. I wonder what he will make of this? I'll give it a whirl next weekend.