Laws on payments and paying things for children with an ex

Hi

My husband (who's French) believes that the law says that, no matter how his own financial circumstances might change, he has to pay the same amount to his ex-wife and to his daughter, who is nearly grown-up but suddenly becoming much more demanding.

He says there's a "legal precedent" (based upon a former airline pilot who lost his job and though he earned 1400 per month vs 6000 previously, the judge mandated that he continue to pay his ex 3000 per month).

Is this true (if so, where can I find out more about this law) - or is it another case of people letting the system - or their interpretation of it - grind them down (along with the behemoth's other head: a man/boss/professional person not being allowed to say "No" ever to a woman/junior person/ working person)

Any info on this gratefully received, people could lose everything needlessly supporting people who could and should put their own hand in their pocket once in a while (and pull together in a crisis). How I wish there were more who shared the blitz spirit. It seems that this is taken to mean "blitz everyone else, take all you can and then look down your noses, people, for might is right".... (grrr)

Ps, for anyone nosey enough to be wondering, he is NOT thinking of cutting down the amount he pays anyway, this is about getting my ducks in a row for the future, which is always nearer than we think...

However, I believe that if your child does further studies you have to help them until the age of 25. There was a case where a girl took her father to court for this as he had not been paying anything for years.

Anything that is not in the divorce judgement is not an obligation.

You can request a modification for maintenance payments any time you like if your circumstances change. This applies to both sides. The JAF deals with it; you don't even need a lawyer. You send in the form with relevant documentation and justification, and the JAF decides.

Maybe there was more to the pilot story than the bare facts. He may have had income/savings/inheritance elsewhere.