Le Beaujolais Nouveau 2022

Not in my experience! We’ve just been toasting the day (purely accidental) with an extremely nice version. It’s light but very fruity and tasty (and available from Lidl!!!)

1 Like

Happy memories of 1981 when we were first introduced to this (albeit marketing scam) when living in Grenoble.

In 1995 when we lived in Jo’burg I was at a meeting in our HQ in Paris and before taking the taxi to the airport to return home I popped down for a quick drink with a colleague in the local watering hole. It was the day before the NB was “unleashed” but he as “a regular” convinced the lady who owned the bar to give me a case of NB. I brought in back to Jo’Burg that night and my wife shared it with her wine club the same day as it went “live” in France. Everybody was chuffed :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I remember the ‘nouveau’ ‘tradition’ appearing amongst Cape wine farms about twenty or more years ago. I also remember it being pretty ropey, WO Western Cape stuff.

Nevertheless I’ll probably get a bottle of neighbouring Gaillac nouveau this weekend (while sniffily observing that our own Aveyronnais vignerons prefer to make ‘proper’ wine).

En passant, I’ve never really got to grips with Gaillac because unlike Cahors, they can use so many different varieties of grape that it’s much harder to figure out what is typical.

1 Like

Over the years, there has been some tasty BNouveau… and some years not so good… but that’s my palate. The world is large and tastes vary…

Ah but you’re Tech Guru, how do us lesser mortals achieve Local Nouveau vinous enilightenment?

Well well - maybe worth drinking this year after all

Certainly the grapes along our veranda were smaller this year but incredibly fruity from this summer’s heat.

2 Likes

I’ll second that! I shall be nipping round to Lidl tomorrow to see if they have any of this particular one left as it’s excellent :smiley:

Currently sipping a very cheeky Lidl Beaujolais Villages :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah, that’s proper stuff!

been chatting with pals… consensus is that 2011 was certainly a good year for BNouveau…
and that’s probably the year I’ve been rembering with affection… :+1: :wink:

We love fino and manzanilla best.

1 Like

Have you tried the manzanilla from Sanlúcar de Barrameda? We loved it, though I don’t know if it’s generally available in France.

We’ll stick with Julienas and Moulin a Vent.

You are so missing out! Tonic water was always available too! Suns over my yard arm…

not really these days… I’m now teetotal (medical reasons) and haven’t touched a drop for quite a few years. Saved a ton of Euros too in the process!

2 Likes

Were you at Aston, @graham ?

No, I lived in Edgbaston and worked just ouside the city centre.

Well done, and good luck Graham.

1 Like

But St Amour for Valentine’s Day?

Bought a bottle of Georges Duboeuf’s BN this afternoon, because I wanted to try what one might expect to be amongst the best of the new vintage and in many respects (including price) it resembled a decent Beaujolais Villages.

Have been drinking Duboeuf Beaujolais for over thirty years and regardless of the actual appelation, their Beaujolais never disappoints.

1 Like

when I was drinking… I did always look for Georges Dubœuf Beaujolais Nouveau in France (used to fly myself over regularly for the event) and ISTR it never disappointed.
OTOH, in some restaurants for the celebratory weekend trip, there were some bloody awful nondescript bottles left on the tables for quaffing which was only fit for sluicing the pissoir :roll_eyes:

1 Like