Le Tour de France 2019 - Everything you need to know (Spoiler Alert)

Not long got back from an absolutely fabulous two days out in the Aveyron countryside to cheer the peloton on it’s way.

What can I say? My first time seeing the race ‘live’ and it sure wont be the last! I recce’d the possible parking spots on Friday afternoon and thought ‘no worries - plenty of room’. Ha ha… how wrong was I? We arrived Sunday morning about 10 and only just managed to park up before all the motohome-sized spaces were taken…

Got the motorhome all decorated with our Welsh (and French) flags - all in support of Geraint Thomas - and settled down to watch the amateur cyclists tackle the stage. It was hot and dry, but they certainly didnt dawdle along! Got chatting to all our new ‘neighbours’ - most of whom were ‘old pros’ at the art of following the Tour - as evidenced by the displays of flags, hats and jerseys on their motorhomes.

You HAVE to arrive for a stage like todays at least 24 hours in advance if you bring anything bigger than a family car - and even then, you have to be there early on the day. Many folk left their cars in the nearby village and walked down. We were extremely pleased with our location - on the final km of the last category climb of the day.

For today - it started quiet with many ‘Good Morning’s’ and 'Bonjour’s, and quickly built up to a hot and happy day. The happy atmosphere continued, everyone was friendly and good natured and the anticipation built to the arrival of the Caravanne!

Now THIS was something I had read about, but not experienced before… It doesnt get shown on telly! IT IS DANGEROUS!!! Stuff flying in all directions - key rings, water bottles, hats, jerseys, Haribo sweets…washing powder? A novice could be seriously injured!!! I only managed to deflect a perfectly aimed key-ring (at my head!) at the last second! But my goodness…WHAT FUN!!! And the crazy vehicles, musical horns…

A motorised chicken?

A shopping basket on wheels?

I think this was something to do with fishing…

Flo with Idris - our little red Welsh dragon mascot that lives on the dashboard of our motorhome and has toured all of Europe with us over the last 12 years…

After the Caravanne had passed, there was a gap of about an hour and a half until we started to hear the helicopters that film the Tour from above. And about 15 minutes later, the breakaway had arrived!!!

Followed 2 minutes later by the Peloton…(sorry about my lousy picture taking…)

So, two days of set-up and waiting, for two minutes of action. Was it worth it?

Hell YES!!!

Got back to Carmaux about 5.30, realised we had no baguette so shot out to boulangerie tout suite!!! Popped in to see Andrew at his Tabac in the square, where he too had only just got back!!!

Shattered now…might just have a quick much on some Haribos…

8 Likes

Nice spot just by a bend too…

Glad you liked it, we find it great fun. Try an individual time trial one year, as you get to see each rider so it lasts longer and a different atmosphere. We no longer go to the real mountain stages as find the drunkenness and stupid behaviour off putting, but otherwise do go somewhere most years.

1 Like

Fantastic post and great pictures. Thank you Carl x

2 Likes

8 days to go - and even more heat expected - phew :upside_down_face:

So far this years Tour has been especially good, whether it’s the lack of Frome and Ineos dominating the race I don’t know, but each day brings exciting finishes with different riders taking the stages.

Yes, it’s been good and so far no horror accidents, just simple things that won’t harm cyclist long term.

Up to now have mainly watched highlights, but hope to see both climbs today. Stupidly we have friends for lunch, so will be encouraging people to get to dessert stage by 3.30…

Ann, I think it’s more to do with the ASO finally putting together a race that has the potential to be exciting rather than Ineos & Froome dominating. I’ve watched cycling races for many, many years & the The Tour has, for a very long time been considered the most boring of the GT’s, that’s why it earned the nickname, the Bore de France. Sky came along and shook the race up & other teams are now catching up, even cycling has to progress!

Debby, you are right about the variety of the routes, hopefully the ASO will continue to do this in future.

Personally, Ann I much prefer the Giro, having said that, this year was no where near as good as it usually is! Hopefully they’ll have a re-think for next year. :slight_smile:

Never watched the Giro, tried the Vuelta , but it was only highlights

The Giro is usually very unpredictable so exciting to watch, even with Ineos there. Have to say I was disappointed when Froome won last year, but then I really don’t like the guy at all!

I enjoy them all Debbie even the Tour de Yorkshire and T d Poland etc. This years TdF has been ok ish with a bit of variation but I do like to see the whole of the country covered instead of the western bits last year and the more eastern bits this year.
Today’s race is a killer up the Tourmalet, I wouldn’t even attempt it in a car !!!

2 Likes

The Tourmalet’s always a crowd pleaser and I have a sneaky feeling Lulu’s going to go well and keep the yellow! Lets hope the crowds actually behave themselves a little better but I very much doubt it! I watch as many as possible also, we actually were in Yorkshire for the TdF start & the Inaugural TdY, great fun. We usually get to see live stages of the TdPC, got to meet Tommy V a few years back, he’s a lovely guy. Have you ever managed to get to any of the Belgian Classics? they are fantastic to watch and be part of.

Never watched cycling in Belgium but i’m impressed with all the good belgian riders around at the moment. Tom de G always seems to be in the action. My only claim to cycling fame was a few years back when the Tour came to town (near Limoges). The Tour arrived in town and then spent a rest day in the area. I was living and working on the nearby golf course/hotel where many of the TV and journalists crews were staying for a couple of nights. I cut the greens on the course early morning of the rest day and then played a few holes of golf with Laurent Jalabert (Jaja) and the late great Laurent Fignon. Two really nice guys.

2 Likes

If you ever get chance Peter, watching races in Belgium is a fantastic experience, it really does feel as if every Belgian is a cycling fanatic! We’ve met some lovely people over the years and made many friends, it’s a terrific party atmosphere.

Belgium has a great cycling tradition. An old boss of mine reckons his family lived across the passage from the Mercxx family in a Brussels appartment block.

Bet he could dine out on that for quite few years;)

Yipee! My favourite has got his stage!

Yes it was a fantastic win, shame he doesn’t seem to be getting support from his team, suppose it’s because he is leaving

1 Like

He never seems to have really got the recognition for being such a great rider, maybe because he doesn’t spout his mouth off like some others…