Leaf nuisance - complaining neighbour

Our neighbour has written to us about leaves from our trees clogging his gutters. Does anyone know if I am obliged to cut down tall trees that are closer than 2 metres to his boundary? I would be happy to do this. It would not really solve his problem as there are many trees on our property and this is a very wooded area. We all have problems with endless clogged gutters.
I suspect that discussion will solve the problem but I would like to be sure what my obligations are. I have read this info on the subject from a PDF here. http://www.attorney-counsel.com/en/the-law-library/real-estate-law/neighbors/tips-about-tree-conflicts/

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Tim

Ask him to prove it’s your leaves?

4 Likes

A la campagne, il peut arriver que la végétation plantée par votre voisin finisse par vous gêner.

En principe, votre voisin doit respecter une distance minimale entre la limite de votre propriété et sa plantation. Cette distance est définie soit par les usages locaux, agréés par les chambres d’agriculture, soit par les règlements locaux d’urbanisme.

A défaut, c’est l’article 67 du Code civil qui entre en jeu : la distance minimale doit être de deux mètres pour les plantations de plus de deux mètres de haut et de 50 centimètres pour les autres.

Pour la Cour de cassation, la hauteur de l’arbre doit être mesurée entre son pied et son sommet, en faisant abstraction des différences de niveaux entre les propriétés voisines. (arrêt du 4/11/98).

Si ces règles ne sont pas respectées, vous pouvez exiger que votre voisin arrache, étête ou déplace ses plantations. Sauf si cette situation dure depuis plus de trente ans.

Une précision : les terrains étant souvent trop petits, cette réglementation ne s’applique pas à Paris et dans les départements limitrophes, ainsi que dans les zones urbaines des autres départements d’Ile-de-France.

En cas de nuisance, les tribunaux jugent au cas par cas.

Précisons également qu’en principe, vous ne pouvez pas protester contre la chute des feuilles de l’arbre de votre voisin s’il est planté à la distance réglementaire.

A moins que vous ne puissiez prouver, par exemple, que l’importance des chutes de feuilles associée à une absence d’ensoleillement entraîne l’apparition de mousses sur vos murs ou votre toiture (cour d’appel de Dijon, arrêt du 8 décembre 1999).

1 Like

Brilliant!! :clap::joy::sunny: (And in philosophical terms, perhaps, very French).

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl: and to think that only yesterday… I took the cantoniers to task because my little patch of grass is covered (several inches thick) with soggy, slippery leaves from the Chêne de Cent Ans which stands majestically in the middle of the village… 80-100 metres away… :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

With big smiles, they volunteered to come and blow them away… but of course the wind, simply brings them back… :rofl::rofl:

If the branches were hanging over my roof and thus the leaves blocking my guttering… I would be cross (in a gentle way) and they would sort it out… being the magnificent lads they are… :hugs:

So, I think we need to know just how come these leaves are blocking the gutters…

The fact that the neighbour has written… means he has put the complaint on an official footing and it should not simply be ignored.

OK… once again… I recommend a visit to the Mairie, with letter in hand and photos of offending tree and the nearest gutters… just ask for advice on what to do next… make no complaints, just ask their advice… :thinking::hugs:

Ah don’t be so negative - chop them all down!

(or perhaps have an annual gutter clearing party - just sounds like a good excuse to have a get together)

Can be a risky business… gutters are normally up high…

Anyway, with a bit of luck, things can be sorted amicably…

I wonder what the last neighbour did about the offending trees/leaves…

@timclayton How long have you lived there??

I must admit that leaves in gutters is something of a problem for me - I have crapaudines covering the downpipes to stop the leaves but then they just build up around the end of the gutter, it overflows when I’m not there and rots the wooden boarding.

Half of the leaves are probably mine, half from the area of communal land which borders my land and is planted with poplar to dry it out and prevent it just being a bog for half of the year so I kind of feel your neighbour’s pain.

Fortunately I haven’t had any complaints yet.

But what does one do about a 20-30m oak on the edge of my plot but which almost certainly pre-dates the plot itself (it certainly pre-dates the house judging by the size and girth).

I would argue that it was not so much planted within 2m of the boundary as the boundary was planted with 2m of it :slight_smile:

Perhaps show some entente cordiale and send him a copy of the book (in French id there is such a thing) Eats Shoots and Leaves…

You can install “pare feuilles” on gutters http://www.dari-system.com/index.php/fr/ for example. So you could suggest your neighbour installs them, or at a pinch offer to share the cost if he is stroppy.

Looks interesting, tried a similar system bought in the UK on a couple of short stretches - will evaluate how that worked when I come over for the new year butit was a bit undersized for the French gutters - this looks like it will fit properly.

Bloody expensive system.
One run of guttering facing the road is 22.5m long and that will cost a small fortune!
Then there are the other 3 elevations…

At the end of the day good neighbours are worth their weight in gold.

We have a large acacia on the border of our neighbour’s property and all tge leaves fall into the gutter st tge back of the gite.
So far Jim has just got the ladder and cleared them out.

Mmm, yes - at nearly 12€ per 76cm I’d need to spend almost 190€ even on my much more modest 12m of guttering - then double that front & back.

Not quite as much as you but still off-putting, don’t think I’ll be buying this stuff.

However I haven’t found anything quite wide enough in the UK - here the max I could find was 15cm.

To be perfectly honest there are so many terrible things going on in the world that to get uptight about some leaves seems folly.
I live in the countryside, my choice and it’s wonderful, I have trees all around me, including my own. The leaves fall in the garden, they float all around the house, they tumble into the gutters, the étang, the heating ducts of my car.
They are from my trees, my neighbours trees, the forest all around me.
Maybe I should go and chop every tree down, how dare they have the temerity to shed in the countryside.
Try living without food, heat or a roof over your head, leaves will quite rightly tumble into their natural place in life. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tell him to leaf it out mate. groan :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve never even thought about leaves being a nuisance…how bizarre…!

The boundary to my land out back is defined by trees…as is most of my front garden and driveway…I’ve got no idea if any leaves…mine or anyone else’s are in my guttering…I’m guessing not as I don’t have any problems and neither do my neighbours as far as I know…

This is the right of way that runs down one side of my house…It’s a blanket of leaves at the minute…I’m thinking that conceivably if the wind was in the right direction that maybe some of these leaves might be “mine”…x :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just don’t have gutters.

1 Like

Now you’ve got me wondering David…I’m gonna have to check in the morning whether I’ve even got any guttering…x :smile: