Leaking Waste Water Pipe

I have a house in Etaples (near Le Touquet) post code 62630.

We have a leak in a large waste water pipe in our cellar.

Does anyone know what size the pipe is likely to be ? It is concrete and is at least 20 cms in diameter. I need to find a plumber to mend it or I need to buy supplies in England and go over and try to fix it myself.

Any advice would be welcome please.

Thanks

Doug

Hi Dougl and welcome to SF
Just love Étaples, used to cycle there from Le Touquet airport on my folding bike. Fantastic seafood restaurant on the quayside…
IIRC, pipe sizes between UK sources and France are comparable so I guess much will depend on the level of urgency and Covid travel restrictions.
Is it waste just from your property or shared with others?

1 Like

Buy a flexible coupling and its a reasonable fix yourself.
Look at Fernco and equivalents

2 Likes

Be prepared for the inside to be “icky” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the type of joint we used to use on waste water pipes on sewage works. But looking at the picture its difficult to see where the leak is from.

1 Like

Hermetica good also provided the pipes line up well.
On close inspection of the picture, looks like the bodged up pipe feeding in from the top close to the wall.

2 Likes

Unless sizes have harmonized recently copper and plastic plumbing/drainage sizes are not comparable between UK and France. Plastic in UK is push fit while in France it is solvent weld. Common copper tubing in UK is 15mm and 22 mm plus others of course but France don’t do 15mm.
Underground drainage pipes in UK are commonly 110mm while in France they are 100mm, obviously bigger turds in UK .

2 Likes

Plenty of solvent weld in the UK in all sizes. Problem being UK is nominal bore size and France is OD. Thus allowing french pool builder to use thin walled plumbing waste buried 1.5 mtr under ground instead of 16bar pressure pipe cos it fits dunnit.

2 Likes

John your bang on, on first look i thought maybe the leak maybe in the wall, but yes it looks like a botch job. For me dig out some of the concrete in the wall, and cut back the shit repair and start again. Not a big job.

3 Likes

Must have become more common then in recent years in UK. I owned 2 construction companies and a Builders Merchant for many years and never used or sold solvent weld.
So are you suggesting that a French pool installer buys UK pipe to save money or, is it pool installed in France by an Englishman who has brought the pipe from UK?

1 Like

It’s also 1mm wall thickness in France vs 0.7 in the UK, probably doesn’t matter too much in a typical domestic setting but the French stuff can technically withstand more pressure. I brought 12mm over from the UK as it was cheaper - then somewhat ironically didn’t use half of what I bought as a) I found a pristine bit of unused buried pipe that went exactly from where I had existing plumbing to connect to, to where I wanted the utility sink which served for the cold supply and b) in the end I couldn’t be bothered to fit an outside tap.

UK sourced 15mm (“half inch”) compression fittings work just fine with a change of nut and olive for French 14mm (and, I think, 16mm) pipe.

1 Like

Solvent weld requires a small amount of competence, lacking in some so pushfit is frequently used.
No French pool builders use metric but the wrong grade for the job even though le Normes call for it in the standards, you know who you are Magiline!

1 Like