Leaving the EU

The Brexit is being looked at as an emotional issue in the main and most of the exiters are realatively old, looking back to a rose coloured world which just doesn't exist any more. What exactly would happen if there was a Brexit? No body who says they would support it is actually able to tell me what would happen to all the British expats who live in Europe and all the young Europeans who live and work in the UK and fuel the British economy? It should not be about a simple demonstration of fear about excessive immigration and regrettably the latest events are not going to help. I can already see signs of disquiet about immigration here in Brittany and unless you think otherwise we are considered as immigrants. There are those here in Finistere who don't mind hurling a few gratutitous insults at non Bretons, non French.

Is your car a diesel? Is it over a certain age? Part of that €750 will be tax on that sort of car. When I imported my parents' old car from Germany earlier this year the tax actually came to more than the registration and altogether it cost me just over €1000. Running vehicles is expensive.

I live in France and am very pro Europe, but come the time, I will be voting to come out of the European Union. Surely you can see (everyone) that the objectives of the EU, JUST DON'T WORK and have not been realised. e.g. I have been homologating 3 to 4 vehicles (2 cars, 1 van, a trailer). Getting a French number plate on my UK Vauxhall Vivaro cost us 750 Euros!! The current one is a UK made catering trailer that I have imported from Northants to Touraine; I get to read all the EU Directives about the things that I need to do to get passed by la DREAL ... the whole thing is an administrative shambolic money pit. Now if you like that, e.g. you worked for the public sector in the UK (NHS, councillor, CPS, criminal law defence barrister, a quango, teacher, MP, police, judicature, etc) then you probably think it is wonderful and has made you your gold-plated pension, which has allowed you to live in Dordogneshire. Re: the vehicles, all I see if the French public sector taking advantage and squeezing every penny out of people for no good reason.

Similarly, the European Convention of Human Rights (1955) ... the objectives, reality and the way the world has moved around the original concept, have changed significantly.

I await the deluge from the know-it-all, white-bearded men with their unfathomable analogies, superior experience of life and biblical, mythological references, to set me right and tell me the way it is ...

Surely there were British people living in France before the UK joined the EU and vice versa.
I can't see that there would be a problem - apart from carrying a Carte de Sejour or similar.

Hi Susanne,
I also hope the UK does not leave the EU but if they did, there would be no problems as both countries would have an agreement to let foreigners live and work in respective countries.
By the way. It looks like we live just down the road from you. We live in Mirabel.