Left Right, Left Right, Where are we going?

I suspect for many, scruples = scruthem ;-)

How many men and women leave a successful political career poor, even if they went in poor and with the highest principles? In modern politics that is a non sequitur...

You fit to do 9 holes at some point, or is the wrist still giving you gip?
We could aim for a 7 iron putter game if you like?
Let me know

Thanks for the precisions Brian.
Does open up a whole debate as to scruples or in it for themselves though.

Think it was Mencken in his 'Notes on Democracy'. He was a great fan of Friedrich Nietzsche, therefore could speak about conning people in such a way he believed it was the best way himself although it appears to be criticism.

Sounds like a quote from Sir Humphrey in Yes Prime Minister !

Yep, not to bad mate.

Scruples. Yes perhaps at local level. Don’t doubt it.

At a higher level, who was it said something along the lines of:
The art of politics is to make people believe they are free.
Really can’t remember who said it and I’m a reluctant Google Genius. So won’t be looking it up.

Hope you’re keeping fine Pete

Belgium has it too. Turn out is still only a bit under 80%. My colleague in Ghent says that lots of people who do not want to get fined, turn out, fold the slip and throw it in with no vote. So. subtract that and so much for mandatory voting. He also said that if the government electoral agency tried to pursue all of the people issued with fines for not voting, then they would have no time for administering elections. I think it needs something cleverer than compulsory.

The floating voters will look at their pockets and see who offers them the sweetest life (well least tax, best pay rises....). That is more or less universal.

I think I heard the turnout was higher than last time. Many people are apathetic but that's always been the case. Australia & Greece among others have mandatory voting I believe tho' I don't know many french who would be happy with that !

The big question is, who will the floating voters vote for ? They seem to hold the key to the result.

Or no vote at all, we had friends over and they said they were abstaining from voting as they are fed up of broken promises. It does seem that a lot of people didn't bother voting at all.

Isn't that par for the course ? Anyway, compared to many countries of the world the french politicians seem positively angelic ! You never know if you dug deeply enough you might even find a teeny weeny scruple !

I'd have thought it cynical myself a few years ago, but when you look at the examples from the top down, you do have to ask the question?

I'm not just talking about the open financial scandals, but just look at how happy they all are to stab each other in the back in the blink of an eye.

Thats a very cynical attitude young Nico. I''m sure the average french politician has purely altruistic intentions with no possible thought for their own self-promotion....

...oh look, there's a flock of flying pink elephants over St Junien !!!

Looks a pretty solid left vicory as usual in our towns anyway.

And is this not just a mid term protest vote as quite often happens. People disgruntled with the governing party place a protest shot across the bows?

Do believe you are right though in that Politico-politicians will jump on any passing vote winning wagon.

Interesting how the FN have adapted to the social climate. They were always portrayed as the racists but their shift in policies have attempted to water down their underlying beliefs. Are the general public fooled by these tactics or is the FN reall changing their spots ? Maybe a bit of both Brian ? Marine isn't a stupid lady...

How much have the recent terrorist activities affected the voting patterns ? Hollande was seen as a strong leader following the 'capture' of the terrorists so did he manage to limit the damage to his party ? The public must be fed up with the employment and growth figures. Maybe the only real winner is dear old Sarko ?

First thing this morning PS was still ahead of FN, but now the balance has tipped over. Whichever way UMP have come out well and truly on top. The analysis has been interesting but appears to show a reverse away from the EU election last year. Round two will be interesting. It would appear that a straw poll of French voters in London showed a vast majority supporting UMP but hardly worth mentioning FN. There are as many communist supporters as PS in that poll. Well done Hollande! One journalist said that the impending investigation of FN's apparent misuse of EU funding for salaries will be getting press attention just before next weekend... Quelle surprise.

Who got my cross? Well, they won...