Legal help

Hello all,
I'm hoping for a little advice please...

We sold our house in December and we have just received a letter from the Notaire who handled the sale stating the the buyer was very unhappy because the flue of the poele du bois was dangerous and she'd had to pay to put it right.

Along with her rather rude letter was a bill from a roofing company for nearly 2000€.

We used the burner for 3 months prior to selling and there was no indication that anything was wrong with it.

Has she any legal right to demand this payment?

It would seem to me that if there had been a problem, she should have approached us before getting any work done so that we had the option to have it independantly assessed and then to get comparable Devi's should it have been found faulty.

After all, we have only her word that there was a problem and she may have some connection with the roofing company that allegedly, carried out the work.

My husband says she is trying to pull a fast one and that we should write back with a flat refusal but I thought it would be best to find out where we stand first.

If anyone has experienced something similar or has knowledge of this subject I'd be really grateful for any input/advice.

Many Thanks in Advance.

And don’t pay anything

Generally, the house is bought ‘as seen’.
There is a rule about ‘vices cachées’ or hidden defects.
Globally, if YOU as in the personal, are not property professionals and you made no attempt to hide the problem, then you should be fine.
It really does come back to caveat emptor or buyer beware.
So to me, it does sound like a fast one.

Hi Bobbi,

I've been reading your post and I really don't see how your purchaser can start making claims after everything's done and dusted. However, I am basing this on UK and Maltese property purchases - things could be very different under French law. I am hoping one of the 'legal brains' will read this and may have come across a similar situation or know how the law relates to it. Was there anything in the contract referring to necessary works or has she provided any paperwork proving what the actual problems were? If it's all on her word, I would tend to agree with your husband. I know the notaire is not a legal adviser as such, more the processor of the paperwork, but did he give any sign that this was something serious?