Let's Learn French :-)

ie queue pronounced the English way sounds like “cul”

ker (as in po-ker in English but with silent r)

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy: No Carol !!! It’s the end of the sentence that’s just as much the problem!

Simon,gosh ,bloomin obvious now you’ve pointed it out,now I am now going to smile a lot more when I think of it!
Stella I have always had aproblem with some pronunciation I can remember my ex trying to get me to repeat ,coup,queue,coude ,especially as often I complained of a painful neck!!

Not actually why it’s funny Carol :laughing:

2 Likes

I tried to point that out @vero!

1 Like

Might have to get down to the ‘nitty gritty’ here Simon and actually give Carol a full explanation… go on, put her out of her misery :rofl:

Except that - if I have correctly understood the “humour” - all you have to do is look at the sentence in English; the meaning translates directly.

The gaff is because French does not use prendre in the sense of “take something somewhere”

cul = ar*e in my area. I have already made the mistake of mispronouncing the innocent-looking “queue” and having the kids in fits that Stella was using “such language” :zipper_mouth_face::rofl:

Yes Stella
that is indeed what I thought was funny(because its the sort of gaffe I make frequently myself) but there again I often get the wrong" end" of the “tale”,and as soon as Simon pointed that out I perfectly understood the meaning of prendre in this instance(just a bit of a prude am I to translate it here)

Theres not a lot I didn’t hear in the 8 years or so I helped my other half run a Bar/Brasserie, its remembering it all I find difficult these days

2 Likes

Daft thing is, I would use “ligne” quite naturally, to mean a queue of people, so the mishap should never have arisen. We were looking through easy-reading books and I was asked to read some of it aloud.

La queue as well as a queue and a tail is a coarse term for penis. Just so you know.

1 Like

left & right politic speak.

Learning
Anglish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HzPmynCGvY

Do you know that to use the term ‘nitty gritty’ is not now pc?
Apparently it refers to all the detritus which formed in the bilges of slave ships.
I’m not a pc person myself, far too many people seem to take umbrage for the slightest reason, but there does seem to be a solid reason behind this one.

Thinking of French words that sound the same - has anyone tried translating this? …
Your uncle mows your tuna

1 Like

“ton tonton tond ton thon” :smiley:

mais il est fou ce tonton, et qu’est ce qu’il fout avec ce thon !

3 Likes

Hi Geof, that made me laugh and now I’ve found emojis I can demonstrate.
:laughing: It would be even funnier with Aunt instead of Uncle.
Izzy x

Hi Andrew, is that an informal word for Uncle?
Thanks
Izzy x