Letter to MP

Well, it probably won’t make much difference but here is the letter that I have just sent to my MP.

I don’t agree that a further Referendum would cause further division.
One would hope that any new Referendum would be held on a more equal platform and the Leavers would not have access to suspect money and , quite obviously, would not be able to claim that leaving was simple.
There are more young people whose future is being restricted and they would have the chance to make their voices heard.
Freedom of movement is vital to the future of our young people and restricts both academic and commercial co-operation.
It keeps families apart and losing it is a totally retrograde step.
Lobbying by certain groups such as vegetable growers, horticulturalists and the social care sector is resulting in exceptions being made to immigration laws as we desperately need these people to do the work that our own nationals do not seem keen to do.
Immigration was for many people the most important factor and one would hope they might now understand how vital it is to the UK economy.
President Macron’s idea for a more integrated Europe seems to be like his future, distinctly uncertain and being able to carry on having the tempering voice of the UK would be a distinctive advantage for all of Europe.
I have writren a letter to my local paper in UK because my MP is a Shadow Minister and as he demonstrated in the recent debate on the Petition that Should there be No Deal Brexit would be stopped, he is working for his party and not his constituents, who voted Remain.
The Editor has agreed to publish my letter.
A new Referendum without Cambridge Analytica working behind the scenes is the only fair outcome if TM’s deal is voted down.

1 Like

But this is an extremely naïve hope - it is likely that the campaign would be just as vicious and divisive as the 2016 referendum; given that feelings run so high on the subject of Brexit it could end up being even more so.

Then there is the “question of the question” - what choice would be put to the country and the outcome - I’ve expanded on why I think the result would not provide much clarity in a previous post

To be fair EFTA/EEA membership is not my preferred solution but it is a compromise that I could just about get behind and it would preserve FoM - something I am sure many members of SF would feel was important.

That is only speculation, now we actually have a contract (crap though it is) for some the mist has cleared and reality is now staring them in the face.
The ballot paper for the referendum should clearly state, “none of the above options has anywhere near 350,000,000 going to the NHS or immediate deportation of anyone speaking with a different language”

Too many long words in your letter… and it’s too long.
Me thinks ‘round objects’ (those of a certain age who watched Yes Minister will understand) :rofl:

1 Like

It is a bit long I agree but it’s about as short as I can make it without condensing the arguments too much.

Well, yes it is speculation but can you really see it being the sort of level headed, intellectual discussion that Jane wants?

The polls suggest that the nation has not moved far from the 2016 position - perhaps remain is slightly in front at the moment but not so far that the referendum is likely to produce an unambiguous result.

George Osborne actually apologised for the abysmal way the Remain Campaign was run.
We could have more of a level playing field this time and the car manufacturers could tell their workers that their jobs are on the line if the UK doesn’t stay in the EU.

Which polls Paul?

I can see that you are an optimist :slight_smile:

That was done last time and didn’t help.

But, as I said, it does not matter how level the playing field is, the result will not provide the necessary long term clarity.

Just about all of them

That data is up to mid August, a fair way before the May “deal” was clear, really need something more up to date.
If the exit vote has grown, I would imagine it is because the EU has been so cruel that many a Brit would give the EU a two fingered salute. Some colleagues are of that mind set despite the major issues it will cause. Other exitiers have now changed their minds to stay with the EU. small sample of people I associate with.

I think you will struggle to find it - the Independent was reporting 54-46 for remain in September (probably the same poll data though). Politico reported 53% remain, 12% undecided and 35% for leave in October but that is still from before the draft agreement was published and it does not guarantee that people would vote that way in a referendum.

However, unless we swing north of 65-70% for one side or the other I don’t think a further referendum will be decisive enough to put the issue to rest. This seems very unlikely given how close the polls still are - if anything “the deal” might swing some pragmatist remainers to think that leaving won’t be so bad and make the margin even tighter.

Another tight vote will not help.

Besides - saying “lets have a referendum” is not an answer because the real question is what choice would you put to the country - that is, itself, contentious.

It might not get that far (but see my previous comments on the desirability of a general election).

Unfortunately I think that this threat might strengthen May’s hand.

Yes I agree.

1 Like

BTW, Mr Walker’s Alma Mater is Balliol College, Oxford where he read Ancient and Modern History so he should be able to cope with a long word or two.

1 Like

Do you really believe the self serving Michael Gove?

Well, he’s sure that a second referendum will result in a bigger majority for leave.

You had me totally confused there until I realised that the link which earlier had a piece about Keir Starmer claiming that Corbyn would table a no confidence motion if May looses the vote has now been replaced to a piece with a fragment of an interview by Andrew Marr with Michael Grove.

No, I don’t believe a thing he says - but then he’s a politician.

Good point, and what if the people voted again to Leave ?
Would the remainers then be happy to accept the vote ?

Yep the thicker than thick Labour party sure know how to polarise the cons to form a team to prevent labour getting anywhere, even if that is against the public interest. Why don’t they shut up until after the May vote then put their plan into action. There are no political parties fit for the role of government

That is the real dilemma.
The two main parties are so polarised that they are not just one party at all, but lefts and rights.
The centre is so disorganised that there is no party to vote for other than the Lib Dems, who really need a kick up the backside.