Level of income application for assistance

I have been looking at assistance in paying towards medical costs. Which income figure would I use from my tax info form?
Is it the gross income or the income after abatements . I do not pay any tax in France .

It is your RFR (revenu fiscal de référence), basically your taxable income after all allowances have been taken off. This figure is normally given in the section at the top left of your avis.
I assume you’re talking about CMU-C. This site explains CMU-C and there is a little calculator where you can enter the number of people in your household and it tells you the income level that qualifies you for CMU-C, so for instance 2 people would be 13 215€.
https://www.cmu.fr/cmu-complementaire.php

Thank you Anna. I did look on a site and put some figures on the online calculator but it says my income is over the limit . Hence my question as to which figure I show. As we pay no tax I thought we might qualify. I will check out your link

CMU-C is basically intended as a safety net for people on very low incomes who are at risk of suffering real hardship. The last figures I saw showed that over 40% of French households pay no income tax, so being “non imposable” isn’t in itself an indicator that you’re in the hardship bracket.

If your RFR is just slightly too high for full CMU-C, it may be that you still qualify for help with paying for a mutuelle, but there are strings attached.

Not being funny but if you’re in a situation where your wife can see a pop up ad for a dress and decide on impulse that she’ll buy it, it sounds as if hardship is happily some distance way in your household!

2 Likes

The tax threshold for 2 people is just over 24,000, so much higher than CMU-C level.

due respect but the dress in question was 29 euros. Not expensive for a birthday gift for our daughter.
My request was to sus out healthcare aid in the event we crash out of the EU. you don’t know what’s available until you look and ask.
Reciprocal healthcare could be removed for us all.

LOL that sounds like my kind of dress, I love a bargain :joy: but no good if the seller is dodgy.

Re healthcare aid,even for Brits who depend on reciprocal healthcare I doubt things will change a lot even if the UK crashes out. France is well aware of the predicament and it has already discussed the need to make arrangements for Brits left high and dry by the UK. Worst case scenario, if the UK does cut its S1-holders off they will still get exactly the same level of reimbursements as they get now, just potentially there could be cotisations and social charges to pay to France depending on income, but if income isn’t high then the charges won’t be high either.

If it’s the crashing out that worries you I actually have more confidence in the french government pushing for a solution for us that I do in the UK government. France isn’t going to want thousands of pensioners applying for support.

Anyway, if it does end up as people having to pay if you have a modest income then the payments are modest too. These are approx figures, but there’s a threshold so one would only pay cotisations on an amount over around 18,000 for a couple. And if that couple doesn’t pay tax, ie has income lower than 24,000 then that means paying 8% on around 6,000. So 480 for the couple for the year…

Before we got our S1’s we paid cotisations, and luckily for us it was manageable and just meant having different priorities for our budget. But we didn’t think the cost was high for the service we get here. (Of course we still resented it having paid NI all our lives, but it was our choice to come to live in France).

1 Like

Ive searched for this info. All I could see was that if UK left with a deal then these rights were protected but a no deal scenario was ? iffy.
Thanks for that, a lot of people all over Europe will be having sleepless nights. Any extra expense will be difficult but hopefully the ÂŁ will improve which will help.

Yes I do too. We’ve had more information from France than the UK.
(no surprises there). We would still have to have top up insurance no doubt. The medical service here is wonderful. One or two problems re reimbursement but they were my error.
Thank the lord for computers and Google translate! Its really hard on the phone trying to sort out a problem. Thanks for your post.