Lightening the mood a little!

Do you know I’d forgotten all about scallops. We used to have them in North Nottinghamshire as well. Not something you’d make at home but a treat from the fish and chip shop.

My mum did them occasionally , she would also deep fry slices of potato and call them scallop chips so must have been the shape

Well I did just that, steamed them sliced for a little longer than usual, then mashed them complete with skins. With the dark rich sauce of the 2nd round of Bourgignon the ensemble was delicious. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did add a little butter when mashing but the point for me is that, adding other ingredients and spices another time I could well have a much missed and delicious stand alone meal.

So thanks to @IzzyM for starting the thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would never think to have mashed potatoes as a stand alone meal, tome it is always a side!

1 Like

Brandade is basically mashed potato with a bit of flavour added?

Never heard of it!

Brandade I’ve enjoyed was with mashed cod etc…

I’ve also eaten “mash with garlic… and more garlic… etc” yummy

Neither would I once I suppose, but what is sausage and mash if not a stand alone meal, perhaps with another vegetable and, since we are in France, always a multitude of spices?

In my 10 years of frequent eating at routiers I have often chosen omelette as a main course and have been totally satisfied as a result. Never would have thought of that before. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ahhhh OK, see I think of the mash as being a ‘side’ to the sausage. I was thinking you meant just a huge pile of mashed potato with nothing else!

Omlettes are great - lots of protein!

If only my silly chooks would start laying!

I ate Brandade in Nimes with salt cod it was delicious Aligot is as said posh mashed potatoes

2 Likes

We are inundated with eggs!

2 Likes

You should give it a go! Great for a filling meal on autumn nights. Best flavour is to buy salt cod in it’s dried form and soak it for a couple of days, changing the water to get rid of the salt. But can also buy sachets of pre-prepared salt cod - usually 400g so want 400g of spuds. I take easy option and cook spuds in milk and add cod halfway through. Then drain (keep some of milk), remove any fish skin, and thrown the lot into blender with olive oil, pepper and some milk. You want it quite gloopy. Put in dish and brown in oven. 4 smallish servings. We like it with an iron rich green like spinach.

2 Likes

Ohhhhh not keen on salted cod, might give that one a miss!

It looks easy enough to make Aligot… although I’m certain our local chef puts much more garlic than is shown in this video…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzDE-XtiFYg&ab_channel=L'AcadémieduGoût

Going to make a potato favourite tonight. Juniper potatoes, as picked some juniper berries the other day.

Prepare potatoes as for a rosti in matchsticks, rinsed and dried. Loads of butter, bit of olive oil, bayleaf, salt, pepper and roughly ground juniper berries. Cook slowly in a heavy open pan, turning from time to time. Eat.

3 Likes

Great Lightening!.. first post i’ve replied to in ages… we used to have a food stall in northern provence - we sold vegetarian food - although we weren’t veggies ourselves no-one else was doing it… we made friends of course with lots of the veg sellers - we used to order sacks of bintge potatoes from them - from holland i think - stunning for almost everything, but not dauphinoise or boulangere… husband loves a McDo - and we used to make them and sell them! you can’t get them in france or you couldn’t as Mickey Ds don’t do breakfast in France… it’s very very hard to make a hash brown at home - you can get quite close thought with bintge… we used to sell “potato croquettes” too - mash bintje with skins on - ricer potatoes to mash, then take the skins, dry for 24 hours in a cool oven - grind and mix with parmesan and celery salt and roll big sausage shapes of mash in the crumbs. Deep fry… licence to print money - we sold them 6 for 5 euro’s - our customers had them as an ‘apero’

2 Likes