Lighting problem

Hi, guys. I’ve decided to buy the house I’m renting but am flummoxed by what to do with these ceiling “lights”. There’s no flat surface to mount a normal fitting. They are both about 15 feet above floor level. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Alternatively, I could do what I normally do and forget about them.

Perhaps take your pick from these from Amazon France?

Whatever you do REPLACE those lampholders, they are meant for temporary use during construction/testing only.

3 Likes

You might want to chech the diagnostic report … to ensure the electrics are OK before you start touching anything.

Thank you. The problem is there’s no flat surface to attach the fittings. I suppose the answer is to build some sort of structure around the point where the cables exit the ceiling beams to provide a level base. A bit tricky at that height!

I was planning on doing that. There’s another one of these fittings in the living room at about wall-light height, plastered into the wall. This will have to go too.

Indeed. The report could make interesting reading.

First thing - get one of these. [€99.95 from this seller].

No more teetering about at the top step of step-ladders nor reaching that little bit further, most of the way up a regular ladder. I have had one of these for 25 years and it has been in action hundreds of times, never once but I congratulate myself that I bought it.

I replaced one of these

With 10 of these

Bricot Depot had sets of 5 x 8w for €35.

I realised some time later that I could have achieved the same thing, ‘mas o menos’ using wall uplighters and saved the moulded ceiling and the lots of €€€ required to cover it up :roll_eyes:

“Eh, Victor - como …?” “Manuel …no lo sais …”

Ahhh! Como eso! Muy bien!

1 Like

I’d suggest it depends on the sort of light you want, for instance if it’s general or multi-directional illumination, this is one cheap solution (about 30 € ). They’re lo-voltage so have a small transformer, that can be left visible, or hidden in a false ceiling (best to make a small access panel in advance).

On the other hand, if you want more localised light, say over a dining table, consider using a linear fitting either along the beam or between two or more beams,; this can work with traditional or contemporary light fittings

or just use a longer than usual cable with a suspended lampshade. Either solution can look really good

Thank you for these suggestions. Both lights are in bedrooms. I was looking for an unobtrusive way of hooking up a tradition pendant light to cables that come through the ceiling at a point with no level surfaces to mount a ceiling “rose”. Looks like I may have to go for a more ambitious solution, ideally without having to replace the ceiling or reroute the cables. You guys have done some nice work by the look of the photos. I may have to raise my game. You’ve inspired me.

Like these?

https://www.ateliers-marinette.fr/en/decoration/ceiling-roses/

I don’t like lights on the ceiling in bedrooms so I got rid of them and have lamps that you switch on with the light switches by the doors, that might be a solution for you.

That’s the sort of thing, but not necessarily that style. They all require a flat, ideally horizontal, surface to mount them on and that’s what I don’t have where the cable emerges.

I was hoping to avoid rewiring the rooms but it would be a useful feature.

In one area of the house we have used very attractive flex/wire/cable (whatever the technical terms is!) which loops across the ceiling to a hook which has the light fitting hung from it.

We used to think that was great (and is what we have) until we got older! Now it is a pain as we need better lighting.

1 Like

Ah, that sounds like it would work. I’d just need a small, unobtrusive electrical connection box to hook into the lighting circuit. There’s room for that. The search is now on for “very attractive” flex and an electrician idotic enough to work at that heright. Many thanks.