Linky meter - new installation (now resolved)

Ditto! We’re avoiding being there whenever Enedis want to visit!

Strange that the enedis app does not work as they are the ones collecting the data and then providing it to the reseller. Can you not see the data on the soregies web site (assuming you have an account you can access online) rather than looking for their app ( that seemingly does not exist) ?

In order to be part of a more efficient electrical grid people need to embrace smart meters.

Being connected to the grid means that you/we are part of a network which requires us all to participate properly. To use a hackneyed phrase, we are all in this together.

Not having one will eventually be a disadvantage as the future of the electrical supply market rests in the use of much more flexible tarifs which can only be managed via a Linky.

Avoiding getting one fitted will also start to incur costs for the manual meter reading required.

2 Likes

Indeed. However, when I downloaded the app and tried to create an account it said that they do not serve my area.

The Soregies.fr site has in fact just updated and there is now a link to view consumption. However, when I try to do that I get a message to say that my meter is ‘not communicating yet’. Perhaps they have to do something at their end. I’ll give it a week and see what happens…

A wise move. Depending on your local grid there may be a delay before your (& other meters locally) are able to communicate.

I advise anyone who is present when their Linky is installed to quiz the technician doing it. They all know the local conditions & can say when, approximately, it will go online.

1 Like

Our Linky took about 6/8 weeks before we started to see data from the EDF app / client space on the web.

1 Like

Thanks @Badger . Unfortunately my installation happened when I was out shopping and he or she neglected to leave behind the promised ‘getting started’ leaflet. I’ve now downloaded it and it basically promises milk, honey and pet unicorns for all…

And @PeterJ - thanks for letting me know about the time delay. It’s always reassuring to learn of someone else’s experience.

@_Brian

took us a while… before the bills showed “actual” figures…
be patient for just a little longer… :+1: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@PeterJ & @Stella
That was our use case too… the system has to be allowed to accumulate useful/meaningful user data and then it all follows on from there.

1 Like

Patience is my middle name :innocent:

For which I have never forgiven my parents :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4

1 Like

OK, smart meters can report usage in a much more fine-grained manner which would allow adjustment of pricing much more flexibly than at present, whether such tariffs will be developed remains to be seen.

Making the grid “more efficient” is a tricky one though and (certainly at present) more marketing hype to get the unwashed to accept them than actual advantage.

I could see, for example communication between the smart meter and, say, an EV charger and the grid via the meter to balance electricity production/demand but I don’t think that the current crop of devices supports controlling individual appliances. I’m also not clear there’s much advantage compared with just charging overnight, perhaps on heures creuses.

Finally people might not want their EV charging to be too smart, no one wants to wake up in the morning of an important journey to find the car only got an hour’s juice.

I am interested to hear you thoughts on specific measures that can only be done with smart meters that improve grid “efficiency”.

1 Like

The pdf of user instructions for the Linky Meter given in this subject are for a 3 phase meter. These are the instructions for a Single-Phase Linky Meter and also the user instructions are in English. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiSlvaBnsv6AhUHixoKHaGfCDQQFnoECAoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.enedis.fr%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2FNotice_compteur_Linky_Monophase_anglais.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1lHlia6nTFjb5025aFKtOz

Put Google search result URLs through https://urlclean.com/

To reveal

https://www.enedis.fr/sites/default/files/Notice_compteur_Linky_Monophase_anglais.pdf

and avoid Google tracking.

2 Likes

Exactly. Using the vast amount of electricity stored in millions of EV batteries is a neat way of using stored renewable production at peak times to avoid calling on other rapid response but unclean generators (i.e. gas).

Any use of a private EV as grid backup would be entirely under the control of the owner. They can set limits on external usage in order to ensure that there is sufficient charge left for later needs, or to opt out of the scheme if necessary. On the flip side they would be handsomely reimbursed for providing some kWhs at crucial times.

Exactly what I’ve said above.

1 Like

and to add to the excellent suggestion by @billybutcher you could equally just format the post enclosing your description in square brackets […] followed immediately with the URL -however formed - in normal brackets such as
[your text] then (url) or use the hyperlink icon in the reply panel image

Neat, but not possible with current EV’s, their chargers or smart meters alone.

In fact I struggle to see much advantage for the consumer in the dratted things.

At a pinch, they can help consumers be aware of their electricity use, and might encourage people to find and switch off unused appliances but beyond that - what?

Whereas they can mean energy suppliers can get rid of staff needed to read meters and guarantee that they always have up-to-date consumption figures for bills, rather than relying on estimates or customer supplied readings.

They can also charge by apparent power use thus making sure consumers pay over the top for electronic devices with poor power factors (a lot of LED lamps, for instance).

The consumer actually provides the data on what appliances they have and in which quantity then from that, based on real time usage figures - “smart” assumptions can be made.

Work through an example.

Actually don’t worry. I have a different question.

What’s the aim, what is it about smart meters that benefits the consumer?

Vehicle to Grid (VTG) capability is already feature of many EVs on the market. Some (notably the Nissan Leaf) have been able to do it for years. Yes, there is more tech required than just the car & the smart meter, but it’s impossible without a “compteur communicant”.

Anyone with a means of electricity production (most likely PV) can sign up to have a virtual battery so that their over production is registered & credited against actual grid consumption. Again, that is impossible without a Linky.

Why “dratted”?
Apart from the other advantages having continual accurate readings is much better than wrestling with a supplier who has struggled to gain access to your meter to read it* & therefore sends you inaccurate bills.

• The second home owner problem…

I’m not aware of any move to charge that way. I’m keen to see your source for that statement.

1 Like