Linky meters - Bills - update

Has anyone else with a newly installed Linky meter noticed an increase in consumption?

If so, how did you go about getting Enedis to do something about it?

Don’t have a Linky yet, but they are getting close, so I’m very interested.

How much of an increase are you experiencing, Ian???

The question in my mind is whether the increase is real or perceived by which I mean is the digital device more accurate in measuring the usage than the analogue device it replaced which are notoriously inaccurate.

Well, the old meter was in place 16 years and had a digital (LCD) display. I’m pretty sure EDF and its various spin-offs/subsidiaries or whatever they are would not have allowed consumers to use electricity they hadn’t paid for.
Add to this that I have, since the photovoltaic panels were installed, noted the consumption daily, and any increased consumption, whether perceived or actual, will result in increased bills.

This is from 2017 - talks about inaccuracy resulting in some higher bills. Seems it depends on the sort of Linky meter put in place. No idea which sort France is using.

"So called “green” devices such as energy saving light bulbs, heaters, LED bulbs and dimmers change the shape of electric currents which can result in a distorted reading, it said. "

1 Like

Wasn’t there a report somewhere I read recently that said someone who installed photovoltaic panels found an increase in their bills - when the expectation was that the bills would be reduced - and it came down to the fact IIRC that the meter couldn’t handle the input as opposed to the output so inputs were charged as outputs… I’m sure it was a smart meter (of an older type) recently fitted by the electricity supplier…

Graham, the PV cells were installed in 2016 and that’s when I started noting the consumption - just as a matter of interest - but, now I’m glad I did.

It’s a bit complicated - Stella’s link is on the right track but judging by the snippet pulled onto the SF page is not totally accurate. It is not a “distorted” reading - it is still an accurate reading but measured in a different way to a traditional meter.

It is to do with the difference between real and apparent power in AC circuits and a quantity known as the Power Factor, a lot of modern equipment has a poor PF (it is a quantity which varies from 0 to 1). I have seen lots of suggestions that smart meters are capable of measuring apparent power rather than real power - the supply companies justify this because equipment with a poor PF causes increased losses in the distribution network.

Traditional meters measure the “real” power.

Large industrial users have long had to take steps to get their PF’s as close to unity as possible, usually with large capacitor banks to counter the inductive load of industrial motors.

1 Like

The link gives the complete article - albeit from 2017. :slightly_smiling_face::wink::upside_down_face:

SF automatically pulls in the start of the article - I’m having breakfast & getting ready for work, no time to read the whole thing but I can guess at the general tone from what I can see on SF without following the link.

1 Like

don’t gulp you food - we rely on you being in tip-top shape. :relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Have you spoken with EDF yet??

I’ve sent two messages to Enedis explaining the problem and a third to gee them up.
Loathe as I am to telephone and have to converse in French, they will get a call next week if they haven’t responded.

To query your Bill - you can use the English-speaking Helpline - according to this 2016 blurb.

Does anyone know if it is still relevant??

EDF English-Speaking Customer Service Helpline

EDF’s English-speaking customer service helpline is 09 69 36 63 83 (or +339 69 36 63 83 for international customers who are dialing from abroad). Press 1 for technical support, or press 2 for customer service questions. This number is free when dialed from a French landline, but may be subject to charges when dialed from a mobile phone or from abroad.

“EDF’s regular customer service number (in French) is 09 69 32 15 15. It is also free when dialed from a French landline (but may be subject to mobile operator charges when dialed from a cell phone - check with your provider).”

1 Like

I called the EDF English speaking helpline once - we ended up speaking French because my French was better than the operator’s English :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Were they able to help re the Linky???

It was some time ago.
Also, EDF don’t deal with matters concerning these meters - one has to deal with Enedis who, I believe, don’t have English speaking help.

Ah - seems that was an old number/link

here’s the 2019 advice.

“If you prefer to reach the EDF English speaking customer service you need to dial 09 69 36 63 83.”

You could at least give this a whirl and ask them for the English-Speaking Enerdis phone number if necessary. Have your Contract Number at the ready - got to be worth a try…

Whose name is on the Bill EDF or Enerdis???

1 Like

I have my personal account on the Enedis website but no English speaking number is advertised. As far as I can tell, Enedis operate the meter, EDF supply the electricity and EDF ENR operate the photovoltaic cells. It’s all a bit train companies vs. Network Rail with an extra something thrown in.

Have you got Assurance Protection Juridique (or whatever it is)… I know someone who makes full use of the Policy to sort out every disagreement.

If you do have the cover - might be an idea to ask if the Assurance can help you get some answers and/or action.

If not - a Recorded Delivery letter with receipt, might get a reply. I would send it to whoever is named on your Electricity Bill.