Living under the Radar

Yep I know you're a vet of these kind of spats, Vic, it is incomprehensible that people get a welcome message from Catharine spelling out what is and what is not, and then wheedle around for ages :)

There is no need to apologise Sue this is the nature of the beast and conversations written or spoken can and do divert from the original

Ian. I still find it strange that folk admit to reading SFN for yonks & therefore know the few simple things asked of members. They obviously like what they see, join, & then try to change the status quo by refusing to abide by these requirements. There is an upside to this however as their reasons for not posting a picture are usually very amusing.

I'm going to remove myself from this conversation now. I want to apologise to John Alcock-it was never my intention for this subject of profiles to take over the original subject of WFA. I merely wanted to state my point of view on that original subject. I take on board what Catherine has said about SFN. Whether or not I use it again depends on how I feel.Thank you.

*coffee splurt*

Actually, the avatars are so small that my short sight doesn't cope, so I only pick up such things if the members use a pig's bum or the likes ;-)

Well spotted Hayley. I can understand the confusion by Admin however as it does look like our prolific poster Peter Bird :-) Do we get a photo of you now? x

What you can do about about the Winter Fuel Payment

PS. Brian appears to have been chatting away merrily in the discussion, why didn't he pick it up. He's been appointed Admin after all. You can't get the staff these days can you ;)

PPs. You've even posted yourself Catharine LOL tut tut ;)

What an excellent message, Catharine. That's exactly why this is such a good place to hang out.

Well that is a shame and please don't ('feel unwelcome' that is)!

You'll find that many / most SFN members meet up / get to know each other personally so using a fake photo / adding untrue information is simply not done as it would be self-defeating.

SFN is NOT a forum - it is a social network and that's why we encourage people to use photos. You wouldn't be happy chatting to a masked man in a bar so why expect it to work online?

Of course - what is he called? I can't / don't spot everyone! Thank you x

Hi Catharine, could you chase up the chap who has delboy has his pic or is it really David? ;)

Thanks for the reply-and yes I do understand. However I fail to see why a picture should make a difference. You don't know that it would be a picture of me or that the details I put would be correct or even true! Also the poster said it was a 'rule'that you must put a picture . I am on other fora (aren't we all) and I have never seen any unpleasantness with regard to using 'user ID' instead of real names.I have only recently started posting on here although I have read the forum for many years whilst planning to come to France. Unfortunatly I now feel unwelcome, which is a shame as I have garnered useful information from many of the contributors.

Hi Dave

Please see my reply below to Sue which also applies to your comments. Thanks.

Hi Sue

It was explained in your welcome message that you will get much more out of SFN if you are more forthcoming! And as Jane quite rightly pointed out, people are much more willing to interact / engage with those who do say / show 'who' they are!

The bottom line is that is everyone insisted on their right to total anonymity (which is after all a joke if you so much as use email let alone websites or social media) on SFN it would spoil it for everyone else and we'd end up with a site where people called themselves "Goatlover47" with all the resultant unpleasantness and bitching that goes with such websites.

And more to the point, there wouldn't be anymore SFN as we simply don't want to run a site like that. Never did and never will! So I hope this makes thing clearer and that you will be encouraged to add a profile picture. Now I'd better go back to cooking lunch :)

x

I don't know of a rule that says I 'MUST' post a photo ,or that I 'MUST' put details on my profile. If I have missed this rule please point me in the direction of it so I can read it.

Because it is a rule of the house. If you do not like the rules.. leave the house.

I joined SFN to hopefully gain some insight knowledge but all I am seeing more and more is bitching about this topic or that topic. To be honest some of you need to get a grip on life. And yes I agree with Sue why is she castigated for not putting her photo on here?

I resent your implication. I an registered for tax here. I own a french registered car. I pay my health care. You know nothing about me but assume because I choose not to splash my details all over that I am somehow doing domething wrong.

But you would have no idea if the information that I ( or anyone else for that matter) puts on their profile is accurate or true but because it's there -that somehow gives validity to comments? I am afraid that I fail to see the logic in it. If I put a query on a forum or answer requests for info I usually give an approximate area of residence as that helps with replies. When commenting on general topics I see no need to divulge that.