Local Markets

What’s your local market like? Ours here in Thouars is exceptional. I try and go whenever I can, and spend far too much, but it’s worth every penny. What is your market like? How do the quality and prices compare? Tell us here, and put a piccie up if you can.

Hello,
here in Narbonne, in addition to the weekly fresh produce markets in the surrounding villages, we are very lucky to have a covered food market, Les Halles. Its open every day of the year until 1.30pm so you can even pop in and get a turkey on Christmas morning or a jar of creme fraiche or whatever. Its a very dangerous place for me as I nip in for some chevre and come out with my basket groaning with all sorts of produce which I couldnt resist, or worse, tidbits which I cant afford!
If you are visiting or live nearby, I can recomend the wine shop in Les Halles where can you can have a glass of just about any wine accompanied by cheese from the counter across the way, or fresh oysters from the fish counter or the best Serrano ham I have ever tasted. Great for a sinful late breakfast or light early lunch!

Good. It will give us all some inspiration after slaving over a hot stove.

Great idea!

Great! I have just started a thread on the wine group about matching wines to our recipes on Food Lovers group, on wine matching. If you think any of your wines will compliment the dishes, please do recommend them there.

I’m a winemaker so I sell my wines at Eggenfelden (outside Les Halles). :slight_smile:

What do you sell?

I live close enough to Carcassonne to have a plethora of markets to choose from. All the summer markets are starting up now. I have a booth at one of the new ones and it’s a little slow, but all te goods are top notch so we just sit around eating and sipping all morning. Very fun. :slight_smile:

Not wanting to make you guys envious, but ours here is massive, with loads of stalls of every description - it expands to busting point in summer, but even in winter it is pretty big. They do the whole deal from Olives, polyester overalls to porcelain and tons of local stuff - big bee community here, so honey is big on the agenda, and of course we are in the Charentais melon production area, and they are actuall grown about five miles away from the market. Someone said to be recently it is one of the best in France - I have been to a fair few, and its right up there with them.

I go to my nearest market (2km) every Friday. It’s only tiny but there is a very good fruit and veg stall, fishmonger, cheese man (gorgeous Bleu des Basques, yumyum), charcuterie, and other assorted vendors (shoes, haberdashery, clothing etc) depending on which Friday in the month it is. Epicerie just across the square, boulangerie and butcher almost next door… shopping sorted in one fell swoop! :slight_smile: