Log burner installation - Hanc (Poitou-Charantes)

It’s cold air to aid combustion not warm air from the fire. When I had my new log burner fitted in my draughty old house earlier this year they put an air inlet through the wall.

That looks quite ugly.

Misty,
The pipe is for air flow as for good combustion you need it. As I’m making my house less drafty one day ventilation for the fire would have become a problem.

1 Like

It’s not brilliant but not as bad as the photo suggests and as it sits behind the log basket I’m not too worried.

I agree with Paul, the finishing off could be better, a hand full of sand & lime would finish it off, but if you’re happy with it gr8.

The photo does not represent the facts. It’s taken in the near dark without a flash and the compensation has shown an odd contrast that doesn’t exist normally. Personally I don’t like the plastic fitting but as I said it’s out of sight so hardly worth worrying about.
Please don’t make patronising comments about sand and lime, after pointing my house inside and out about 20 years ago I’m I’m quite aware of the process.
PS after looking at your photo I notice that the stonework beside the fire place doesn’t look too good either. At least my eyesore is hidden.

David,
I’m sorry if I’ve touched a nerve, can’t see any patronizing in my comment. Just trying to be helpful as not everyone has the knowledge of how to do things like making good

Without being too touchy, it’s fresh air. If that air is pre heated as in some wood burners the efficiency can soare as creosote can be combusted.

In the UK, HETAS require all wood burners over 5kw to have external air supply, maybe France is following suit, anyone got a link to the new French regulations?

1 Like

the regulations are out there…I thought I saw them yesterday… but today… they have vanished…:thinking:

I tried and failed so if anyone does come up with a link it would be useful.

I doubt I’d need bigger than 5kW, total volume of the room should be less than 50m3 - the floor area is about 28m2 but the roofline goes right down to floor level - so much less volume than a cube-shaped room.

Hello. We brought our Clearview log burner from the UK installed it in a room which didn’t have a chimney. Instead, Meteor Products in the UK do lego-like kits that climb on your outside wall - you just need to knock a hole in the wall. Our house is 18th century and the Mairie thought there was no problem. We have a second log burner and the chimney sweep made easy work of adhering to all the legalities needed.

1 Like

As do most countries,
Poujoulat are a big supplier in France and a lot of other countries.

John, Yes, I know about them but they weren’t able to supply a system that conformed to what my architect suggested nor was suitable for an 18th century stone property. Meteor were both efficient and cost effective.

Jan

1 Like

That’s interesting Jan, do you know what special requirements your architect wanted?

The French architect specified a chimney that met France’s technical requirements but also had to fit in to the closeness to other historical buildings. This was far cheaper than building a stone chimney and apart from scaffolding, it was up and working within a day.

It would be fascinating to see a photo of the chimney… please… ?? :thinking:

I’m off for a few days but try the Meteor website. All I did was send a photo of the building and approximate measurements and the team worked out exactly what was needed. Everything arrived well packed on a pallet within a week.

Knowing architects can be quite funny, I am genuinely interested. My first thought/guess was the colour, Meteor produce one in black, whereas Poujoulat seems to be in shiny stainless which can be painted but would look terrible if the paint begins to flake.
Otherwise one insulated flue is much the same as another.

Mine is a blue/grey which fits with the stone/shutters etc. Have a chat with Meteor - they took lots of time with me whittering on about the downdraft, the double lining etc. As for one insulated flue is the same as another, not so; I did my homework with the stove people, some Scandinavians who were concerned about logs and how long they needed to be aged re pollution levels. Best to talk through with them as your situation might be very different from mine.

Well there is the outer skin, the inner skin and the, usually rockwool insulation between the two.