Long-Stay Visa and Insurance for Americans

I just received a quote from Allianz Travel Insurance that covers all emergency medical coverage up to $25K. It only costs $200 for two people ages 78 & 72. Duration 1 year. I was shocked. What’s the difference between this Travel Insurance and the ones that are costing $5000? That is, why isn’t this good enough for the initial medical coverage requirements for the long term French visa?

As I say repeatedly, I’m not an expert. And without knowing the exact terms of your policy, it’s hard to say. Exclusions from travel insurance can make them almost useless. On the other hand, good policies can be surprisingly inexpensive. One thing that I do know is that the requirements for a long-stay visa are very strict. The following is from the website of the French embassy in Washington, DC: “Proof of medical insurance with coverage for medical expenses up to 40,000$ (or the equivalent in euros) valid during the whole stay in France. Letter from the insurance company only: cards or full coverage contracts will be declined. The insurance should state that under your policy you are covered for medical expenses, emergencies and hospitalization for a long stay in France, with the limit amount of coverage if there is one (or “unlimited” if there is no limit of coverage)” At $25K, the policy that you cite would not qualify from the get-go.

Thanks very much for your insights, Ira. Very helpful.

survivefrance+6315bc6922fd3097079b6964e598d326@discoursemail.com

Hello all,
I’ve just joined this site. My wife and I are US citizens, having just renewed our carte de sejour for the fourth year. I will retire in two years, and we plan to spend most of the rest of our lives in Paris. We have several medical conditions which makes having a carte vitale or some kind of medical insurance essential, since Medicare won’t pay for medical or prescription costs outside the US. We have Visiteur visas and own our apartment in Paris. And we have never worked or earned any income in the EU. Is getting a Carte Vitale a possibility? And if so, how? Thanks to all.

Hi there,
Firstly, let me say that although I am English my wife is American and so we have some understanding of your situation.
Basically, once you have been permanently resident in France for 3 months, then obtaining a Carte Vitale is not just a possibility but is actually a legal requirement.
Initially you will have to pay for private health insurance (there are many English speaking insurance agents in France who will help you obtain it), but once you have long term / permanent residency, you will then be able to transfer into the French State System and get your Carte Vitale by making an application to the local CPAM (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie) office that covers the area in which you permanently reside.
Please feel free to send me a ‘Private Message’ via this website if you want to chat about this less publicly.

Hi! You might want to ask Fabien about insurance, who has helped me and is very knowledgable about insurance of all kinds.