Looking for Exchange Rate Statistics

https://www.insee.fr/fr/statistiques/2381462#tableau-Donnees
This was last updated in January 2018 for 2017 but I am having difficulty finding the published rate for 2018.
Perhaps it just hasn’t been published yet and I need to wait a little longer?

I use these figures Graham …

1 Like

@graham … why are you looking…:thinking:

Maybe for tax reasons Stella ?

1 Like

Oh my… never hear of using INSEE stuff like that… :thinking:

Emmmmm maybe change the discussion title???

1 Like

Be my guest Simon…

I use a spreadsheet to maintain the BdF rate against the INSEE rate for declaring income from our UK pensions.
I’d like to put the 2018 version to bed in advance of preparing for tax declaration in May (early, I know) but I do like to keep on top of things.
Really just a matter of having a reliable figure for the fisc if challenged. Both the BdF and INSEE perform that function.
The INSEE version is usually below the BdF version so that is why I do the comparison :wink:

Aha… that does make sense…:grinning:

I’ve changed the Title… and it will be interesting to find out how other folk “do it”…

I use either the European Central Bank rate or the one provided by my local tax office - whichever works in my favour! :wink:

1 Like

cooking the books… :wink:

1 Like

My spreadsheet is a complex affair as it makes 3 comparisons.
Our UK State pensions are paid directly to our French bank account so I use the actual actual value received into our account for that.
The other pensions (UK Govt) are paid into our UK bank account and I maintain a record of how much was achieved when converting sterling to Euro.
The balance left in the UK bank account is then converted using either the BdF rate or INSEE rate after comparision (usually INSEE is the lower so we use that).
Finally, the balance left in the UK bank account from the prior year (at 31st December) is subtracted from the current years analysis because that sum has already been reported on.
I take the point that the ECB rate is just as defensible as the INSEE rate as suggested by Simon so I might just change my spreadsheet to reflect that but I totally agree that either rate is usually more favourable than the so called ‘published’ rate promulgated by the fisc.
Thanks Simon :+1:

1 Like

I’m sure you meant that with humour stella but I regard it more on the basis of the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion (evasion being illegal, of course) :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Graham - without prying, why are you reporting on amounts / balances left in UK bank accounts ? Unless it’s for ISF of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s the point Simon, I don’t report on amounts left in UK bank accounts because the amount left was already included in the prior year tax submission so if, say, £5k is left in the UK account (it’s non interest bearing) at the end of 2018 and I use that to convert to euros during 2019, the convertible value of that £5k has already been accounted for so to do so again would be over-declaring income.

1 Like

:joy::rofl: Graham… Simon realized my comment related to his spelling mistake… he originally put “woks” in my favour and since edited… :rofl::hugs:

1 Like

Actually, what I do with the BdF rate is to take an average rather than the closing rate for the year so I take the closing rate for the end of Dec in the prior year and the closing rate for the year in view, add together and divide by 2 to give the average over the course of the year as opposed to totalling each month end, summing the total and dividing by 12 - life’s too short :lollipop:

Graham - the ECB site (above) gives the annualised average rates.

For the small pension which is paid into my UK Bank Account… I simply take the amount paid for each month…and do the maths for that date… only 12 times a year… so nothing major… everything else comes direct to France and, of course, every last shekel (or whatever) of the whole lot… is declared…:sunglasses:

Surely your spreadsheet does the maths so it’s hardly onerous.