Looking for people's thoughts on the following departments

We are in Cantal, village of Pleaux (1500 inhabitants). It's the very west part of the department, with just 4-5 km to Corrèze, 25 mins to Argentat at the river Dordogne. In the other direction is Salers and Puy Mary (1788 m altitude). Pleaux is at 630 m altitude, perfect not to have too much snow in the winter and sufficiently cool summers. Although today it's going to be 34-35 °C, but nights are cool and the dew keeps the lawn green. If you come here to prospect, we have a B&B where you can stay.

Hello Helen

We are quite familiar with the Haute Vienne and it was one of the first places we looked for property back in 2013. We saw a few houses in the north near Bellac. We like the area around Chateauponsac and Lac St Pardoux. I guess we just didn't find the correct combination of land and house at the time. As it is the property we bought in the Charente is not suitable either, and neither of us has settled here. Luckily we have sold our renovated house very quickly so we are getting a second chance to find the best place for us. We will consider the Haute Vienne, but will probably head further east/south towards the mountains. Regards Paul

Hi Chris. Correze is definately on our "to visit list". Any places you can recommend?

How do you find the year round climate Krister? I am sure I read somewhere that Cantal is the coldest department in France. Is it very cold in winter? What is spring and autumn like? We definately want to visit. We will bear your B&B in mind! Regards Paul

Anywhere around Tulle, Argentat, Brive, Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne, and anywhere in between.

Cantal is not the coldest department in France. Aurillac, the préfécture, is the only town on France Météo's map which is high up, about 600 m altitude, and that gives a false image.
I find the climate very nice, comfortably moderate in all seasons. I also like the fact that there is 4 real seasons in the year, although winters have been very mild the last five years. Autumn is beautiful with the multitude of colours of the vegetation: yellow, orange, red, ... almost like the colours in Lapland or Canada. Spring is maybe a couple of weeks later that on lower altitudes and you have to wait until 15th of May before putting the tomato plants in the ground.

Biased I know as have lived here for seven years, but couldn't agree more

If I were you, I would look in the direction of Brittany. The winters can be harsh in south central France. Colder than southern England. Brittany has a shorter and milder winter, and the summers are not so stifleing hot.

Hello again Chris. Thank you for the suggestions, we will definately check the areas out. Out of interest, what's your take on Brive? The Lonely Planet guide I have (old edition) describes Brive as "a hole, with absolutely nothing of interest"..seems harsh?

Hi Richard. We actually prefer a cold winter climate with snow and frost and crisp days. I grew up in rural Shropshire when we had winters of -23 on occassion and regularly -10 to -15! No worries about chilly weather...I love growing alpine plants! Also firewood is so cheap here in France, that keeping a house cosy is pretty straightforward. Charente is mild in winter, but this winter was very wet and stormy. Would rather move to a more continental type climate with hills and mountains!

1 Like

Hello again Terry. Thank you for your very detailed reply which is very helpful. We will definately have to check the area out over the next few months.I notice that Leggett have no agents working in Lozere at all? Like you say, best to check out French immobiliers.

Kind regards Paul

It's not that bad - a lot of industrial estates around the city, and it gets hot in the summer. You really need a bit of altitude for pleasant summers, and less harsh winters. It's just about right, where I am.

Brive is a hell hole when it comes to suffocating humid summer heat ;-)

best go french for immo and météo sites, we are in France after all ;-)

I always keep an eye on this one:

http://forums.infoclimat.fr/

Too many Brits in the Dordogne. I escaped Britain in 2000. Now they have discovered where I live: bugger!

Dordogne....however is nothing like UK!

What was it that you escaped Richard.....Britain or the British!

Yes I second Haute Vienne, and we found a great place on the edge of Bellac. We looked at the Charente first but found the places we looked at a bit flat/boring. We like hills, trees, rivers. We thought we wanted rural but edge of a small town is great as we can walk to supermarkets/hospital yet have 2 acres and sit out in the garden it is very peaceful. We love it here. Good luck with your house hunting. This is our place. http://www.bellacmaison.com/home.html.

1 Like

An interesting and positive thread. Let's not ruin it with GB bashing - people or country.

Yes I get your point Helen but my point is that UK is so different from the Dordogne

in S W France. And, perhaps I look at connecting to the points mentioned and, possibly look too deeply at

the story behind the comments. That is, perhaps dinner party conversation!