Looking for rules about la Poste

…oh… another thought then…La Poste has every address, of every house …in detail, the kind of detail that makes it possible to find, via the internet. For example…my house is just an old mill, it doesn’t have a street, or a street number…but La Poste insists I invent one.
So I have to call it Number One, the mill, etc.
Then they accept that to be fed into the system.
I tried not to do that, but they said my house didn’t exist, without number one. Ok… No. 1 it is. They have insisted, too, on a name for my “Street”…
…Chemin Rural, wouldn’t work, so I called it Chemin Rural a coté du Semnon. And that went in, no probs…so if your people have mail delivered at all by la Poste…it’s probably la Poste that can/will supply the fine details…
What a nuisance.!!!
You must be quite ferociously determined to be helpful, in this case!
Splendid effort! I hope appreciated!
Haha! I think you might be very unpop. If you posted things in wrong boxes!

Our carte grise which was posted (but not delivered)to us 3 weeks ago originally had a bit of our address missing. We didn’t realise until we noticed on the email after wondering why it was taking so long. A dash to the garage on Monday who rang Ants for us and this morning it was delivered by our lovely La Poste lady, still with slightly wrong address.
Plates on just in time because contre visit tomorrow and fingers crossed as ct expires Saturday.
Literally skin of our teeth.
Thank goodness La Poste know where we live.
(Now anyway).

Jeanette… Did you speak with your Mairie???

I can assure you that, here, La Poste does not have sufficient detail to locate folk. I know for sure, since I get given all the odd-ball stuff… if it has a non-French name on it…

If I cannot locate the person, it gets returned to sender…:roll_eyes:

'Twas probably the first thing I did after arriving back from the Notaire after signing for our house - changed the name on the post box from Lacombe / Carrieu to Lacombe / Tunnicliffe.

And we still get mail for my inlaws!!! :rofl: Not that it matters because they empty the box for us every time they pop over.

1 Like

Ha ha… sounds like there are still some folk who have not been notified that your In-Laws have changed their address… :thinking:

In Charente… friends receive mail for the Doctor who used to use/live in their property… it’s been going on for 3 years now…

The PO explained that they have to deliver to the address marked… and they simply wait for us to empty the box and give the mail back to them…to Return to Sender… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

That’s weird, it should be a lieu-dit, if there’s no street/road name /number etc. My house gives its name to a lieu-dit so my neighbours (who aren’t exactly close by) have the same address as I do.

1 Like

How wrong is “slightly wrong”… is it something which may cause problems/queries at sometime… ?? Can you get it put right… once the contra visite is over and done with… ???

It’s sometimes quite depressing to be told I don’t exist, could be why I havnt had more than a handful of Xmas/birthday cards in at least 15 years… Terrific fuss once, when someone attempted to deliver a heater and got the same “doesn’t exist” info. They took it away and demanded I paid up anyway…I didn’t, of course…
…I’m on the very ancient map, too, Napoleons map? You’d think that’d make a difference! But it was a commercial granite quarry/pumping station/mill for a long time, so I guess no one thought of it as home till I came.
One guy made a public announcement to say that the living/house part, had been destroyed a long time ago, and I was a squatter.
I got quite a few hostile tourists looking around, for a while. All quite interesting and c’est la vie…
It’s a dear little home, with no mod cons at all, except WiFi.

What does it say on the Cassini map? My house is on it too :blush: but it is very strange you aren’t repertoriée.

1 Like

I must put my theory to the test, and see what la Poste comes up with.if you ask for an address post code.
M. Le Maire got in a muddle with all of it, as far as I know…he didn’t know what or who to believe.
The place was left empty and falling apart for ages, surrounded by a bog,…it was just written off…a kind of ground zero, on the dividing line between two communes, so my garden, a tiny island, is in the commune next door. Ive got the deeds, of course, that describe it as ‘maison d’ habitation’. So that’s the end of that, and I love it.

Cassini…is that the ancient Napoleon map? I’m on that ok.

Fascinated to find our property on the Cassini map… shows a range of buildings with a tower … but obviously the property has undergone major damage/demolition at some point since then… and I reckon the tower is now the wall around the back of the property… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

It’s just got the Name of the mill, on the old map…no street address…!!

By that reckoning … your address would be:

Madame Blogs
Lieu dit le Moulin de Roses (for example)
75600 (Code postale) St Julien sans Sucre (Commune)

1 Like

Your post code will be the commune or the canton though, it isn’t like the UK where a postcode can be for just one house or a very few houses. You couldn’t just put name and post code and expect a letter to get to the person you intend it for.

2 Likes

Something is screwed up, clearly, it needs more investigation, there’s no way that my address, as simply as that, would work… although that’s exactly what it is. :worried:

What about, including the name of the hamlet? I try to do that, every time, but it is auto rejected…Must have street name and number…the hamlet is about 350 metres away, very small…I will write to the Poste, and ask…for them to explain…

It seems to be a Brit thing, to get so excited as we do about OLD! Have you got a local history society?

aha… you’re by a hamlet… it could well be this:

Mrs Bloggs
lieu dit Le Moulin de Roses
Little Fiddle (hamlet name)
75600 St Julien sans Sucre

Really, your Mairie should be able to sort this out… I am surprised they cannot… but, even if they cannot, they should know who can… :relaxed::relaxed:

Take whatever correspondence you have got from La Poste… and show it to the Mairie… ask for their help.

I was told not to put the nearest hamlet in our address as it just confused the postie, so just house name, commune and post code. There is talk about assigning numbers and using a GPS based metric system, but there are lots of isolated properties whose main access isn’t on any GPS map, so who knows how that’s going to work…