Looking for your sat nav recomendations

Wendy, we bought a Tomtom a couple of years ago for a family visit to Holland - hubby would not have driven there otherwise as his Dutch driving experience was from the 60s! We've found it really good and I have not updated any maps since. I figure that by the time this one doesn't have quite a few of the roads and access points on the map it's time for an upgrade. We bought from Darty because the ones which were on sale in LeClerc were all obsolete models and that's why they were reasonably cheap (although still not that cheap!) For us, it was a case of buying something we would use occasionally - if you are going to be a heavy user I'd go more for an up to date model and do updates. If you're a once in a while user for touristy type travelling then you can get away with a cheaper model. I'd also recommend going to the Darty website (or similar) and finding the customer reviews for that particular product. Some customer complaints are trivial but you might find something about the product you don't really want, or do want and it's not good.

This is what I found out about your 'lifetime' map upgrades:
* The update Lifetime maps entitles a user to receive up to four updates to-date maps per year during the duration of the product life

Your offer at Auchan looks like a good price because on Amazon they are going for €86 not including delivery.

Boy are you in trouble!

I have a little SatNav, it sits there in my car. A SatNav is a driver's friend because it tells you where you are. I have a little SatNav, I've had it all my married life, it's better than the normal ones, my SatNav is my wife. It gives me full instructions, especially how to drive. "The limit is 50 kph", it says, "You're doing 55". It tells me when to stop and start and when to use the brake. Then tells me that it's never ever safe to overtake. It tells me when a light is red and when it goes to green. It seems to know instinctively, just when to intervene. It lists the vehicles just in front and all those to the rear, then taking this into account, it specifies my gear. I'm sure no other driver, has so helpful a device, for when we leave and lock the car, it still gives its advice. It fills me up with counselling, each journey's pretty fraught. So why don't I exchange it and get a quieter sort.? Ah well, you see, it also cleans the house, makes sure I'm properly fed, it washes all my shirts and things and keeps me warm in bed. Despite all these advantages and my tendencey to scoff, I only wish that now and then, I could turn the buggar off.

Basic TomTom is a 'cheap one' and map updates are cheaper! Buying any GPS may have out of date maps on it if its been in the shop for a while and MAY need updating.

Sounds like it!

Good advice too....ooh, now my brain is starting to hurt!

Buy a cheap one and budget on replacing it every 2 or 3 years. (better than paying for new maps)

Or....

Buy yourself an android phone/tablet (cheap as you like as long as it has GPS sensors onboard) and use the TomTom App.

Might just try that...

Interesting, thanks!

The one in Auchan says it has cartographie à vie, which I presume is the same thing...

To get the lifetime upgrade option you may have to double your budget.

Extravagantly leap to one side and apologise for standing on the "invisible" button. :-)

I have had a TomTom for many years (New One Edition) and it has been very good indeed. I far prefer it to 'in car' machines because I can (a) move it from car to car of ours and for example when hiring a car (b) I can bring it in and connect it to my computer to update it and programme it before I set off. Yes I have to pay once a year to get the whole of Europe - about €70 - updates but map updates provided by us users are free. It speaks any language you want. It warns on speed limits, gives car parks & points of interest, warns of speed radar (not in France which is illegal). It speaks softly when you are at low speed and increases with speed. It has been reliable and supported for about 10 years+. Being connectible to my laptop means I can back up ALL its software and maps on the computer. Can't fault it!

France, UK and Italy (although the last may be wishful thinking!!).

Oh - and the other consideration is where you are going to use it. The model you are looking at has maps of 14 countries. Some models have much wider coverage. But if it's only for France that's not an issue.

Finding an assistant that hasn't got customer blindness would be good...there were loads of them the other day all in tight little groups talking to each other and ignoring the customers!

Yes - and they can be quite expensive. But that doesn't stop you using the system with it's "old" maps. When using a new "bypass" for example, it might suggest you are driving across a field! :-) You need to read the small print before purchasing or find an assistant who knows what he is talking about.

So you have to pay for each upgrade?

I prefer the Garmin I have now to my (previous) Tom-Tom. The only minor annoyance you might come across is the need to upgrade maps from time to time, unless you have a lifetime upgrade package.

don't have a Smartphone!!