Lorry licence

Do I have to exchange my class 1 hgv licence for a french one and is my drivers DCPC accepted in France. It is a European union document but I have been told the French will not accept it!!! Help

Bernard… please amend your registration to show your full name, as per our T&C’s.

If you are not sure how to do this, simply put your full name on this thread and I will amend it for you.

cheers

(incidentally, who has told you “the French will not accept it” ???)

Check the links here… it gives some of the information you will need…

https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil/le-brexit-cest-quoi.html

deleted

Bernard… I’m sure you’ve already Googled your question… from what I have seen a decent fluency of French will be required and probably/possibly a training/refresher course… all of which does make sense… :relaxed:

As Stella said, you have probably googled. I was going to say (in my deleted post above) that I didn’t think France recognised the CPC as equivalent to FIMO, certainly this used to be the case, but having written that I checked and found a truckers forum where a post from 2018 said it is now accepted. However, as the same poster also pointed out, whether or not it will continue to be accepted post Brexit is anyone’s guess.

Sorry about that. My name is Bernard Daly. Some hgv drivers forums say that the French are a bit iffy about recognizing the DCPC and insist that you do a demo as opposed to accepting the CPC.

Regards Bernard Daly

Possibly but I’ve spent years driving all over Europe. Apparently French haulage companies are resistant to hiring English drivers with or without a cpc.

Regards Bernard Daly

I know some forums say the French accept coc but most say they wont . Most French companies seem to be unwilling to hire British drivers.

Unfortunately there’s not a lot you can do about that. French employers often do choose a French candidate over non French, not just in the haulage industry. Taking on a new employee is a big investment here because of the high social contributions, workers rights etc and at the end of the day I guess it’s up to them, who they invest in. All you can do is present a good application and keep trying. Bonne chance.

I know of at least one Brit in our commune who has successfully done the transition. (albeit many years ago)

I seem to recall he did have to do training/whatever…

Brush up on your French… best to be well prepared.

Thanks. I’m trying to arrange French lessons now.

Fine… concentrate on that as first priority. :relaxed:

Which govt office would