Lose weight, you know DuKan

Lose wieght? You Know DuKan Do It

The Dukan Diet has been around for over 30 years, promoted by nutritionist Pierre Dukan. His book, The Dukan Diet published in 2000 has remained on the best seller list in France since publication. Similar to the Atkins Diet, the Dukan diet promotes eating a diet rich in proteins, it's a diet that is immensely popular in France and has spawned many websites, blogs and shops.
Dukan is in the news at the moment, as he suggested that losing weight should be on the school curriculum, even a subject for the Baccalaureat!! In an open letter to Sarko, he proposed that there should be a subject called "Ideal weight" which students can pass purely by obtaining their ideal weight. It has of course, created widespread uproar and debate.
Intrigued, I got on to his website and entered my details. I'm 5'10" ( 178cm) and weigh in at 10.5 stone. I'm happy with my weight and my BMI ( Body Mass Index) is normal. According to Dukan, though, I could do with losing a few pounds and he, of course has the plan for me.
How flipping dangerous is this for young teenagers who are obsessed about how they look and weigh? Even more dangerous in France, a country where one can never be too thin.. my 6 week old little girl was told to go on a diet by our doctor, FFS!
The media have of course pounced on this outrageous suggestion and like the La Redoute scandal, the story has gone viral on the Internet. One has to ask is this the new PR/marketing ploy à la Mr O'Leary .. All PR is good PR and let's just shock 'em into media coverage with crazy stunts?
After all, had you ever heard of Dukan before you read this article?

This diet does work but like any drastic changes to your body (including a major change in your diet) it is wise to consult with a GP ahead of time to get the green light to do this particular diet. Some of the phases in the diet (attack plan) are quite intense on your body. I have seen it work with people and it is a eating plan without much deprivation. Well, like any diet...the real goal is to make significant lifestyle changes during the diet (eating healthier, more exercise, recognize weak emotional eating etc...) and to make these changes so the weight doesn't come back later on.
As to the 6 week old baby story, this doesn't surprise me ...I wrote an article about the subject after an experience with a friend's friend's 4 month old baby! (oh la la...). Check it out! Good luck for those dieting in early 2012...!

So Your Doctor Says Your Baby Is Overweight

Hi Jeanette, delighted the diet is working for you ... I'm not saying the diet doesn't work, I'm saying that it's ludicrous to suggest that it be a subject for the bac. That a student be an "ideal wieght" to pass and also that these outrageous statements are media mongering PR tools...

My daughter is sending me the book! She has tried it and she has not put on any weight after Christmas, despite not sticking to the diet over the festive season.

En verra!