Lot-et-Garonne CPAM cancelling category S1 Cartes Vitales 31/12/20. Other depts likely to follow

I cannot understand your reply at all.
If your Departement was doing it right in the first place then there will be no problem.
However, there are many other Departements, including my own which were not and this has caused such a lot of worry at a time when we really do not need it.

Standards ā€¦ in French administration ā€¦ Shocking ! :crazy_face:

We were always hoping that this was caused by a cock-up, but having an official French Government page advising Brits that they only had rights up to the end of the WA gave everyone cause for concern and not without reason.
The UK Government is no better, but one would have thought that the International Policy Admin Team at the DWP would have been monitoring this to ensure that the Citizens Rights part of the WA was being followed throughout the EU.
It seems that we are not worth the effort.

Stella Wood, we have the same issue re S1s and attestation des droits end dates in Lot & Garonne. We stupidly didnā€™t take copies when we handed our S1 forms in to CPAM in 2016. We called Newcastle to ask for replacements, saying we needed them to apply for residency, and they sent them out straight away. They arrived in a couple of days.
We contacted Amelie about our attestation des droits ending on 31/12/2020 and got the stock reply, then we called the English helpline and they contacted Agen CPAM on our behalf. They then sent us a message saying we had to send new copies of our S1s to Agen. We called again to check the address and were told at this point to send 2 copies. We posted them with a covering letter yesterday and wait with interest to see what happens. Just hope it gets resolved quicklyā€¦

Gosh you were lucky. I was told 6 weeks. Still waiting.

We also asked for EHIC cards to cover us outside France and got those in 2 to 3 weeks. Itā€™s my understanding that these will continue to work for S1 holders covered by the withdrawal agreement. Assuming the withdrawal agreement isnā€™t scrapped, and I think it may also stop if there is a no deal brexitā€¦

Elaine

Incidentally itā€™s normal to send the two original copies of your S1 to CPAM. One copy is kept in your CPAM dossier while the other is stamped by CPAM then returned to NHS Overseas as proof that you are now enrolled in the health system.

1 Like

and on the other hand, there is nothing to prevent you scanning in (or simply copying) the S1 so you have your own record of it. This we did under the guidance of our fiscal support guy and were able to include a copy in our dossier for the CdS.

There is nothing to prevent you including a copy of your S1 with your dossier for your CdS although Iā€™m uncertain why you would want to.

There is nothing to prevent you including a copy of your S1 with your dossier for CPAM except that it is not the correct procedure.

IIRC under the Ā«oldĀ» (pre WA) arrangement, it was necessary (prudent) to show that your healthcare costs were covered - in this case by the S1 (and in our case with a Mutuelle). If the PrĆ©fecture didnā€™t need it then no matter, but at least it was there in the event that it helped matters along. The consensus in France seems to centre around Ā«hit them with every conceivable piece of paper you canĀ» as fonctionnaires Ā«loveĀ» paperwork - itā€™s their Ā«stock-in-tradeĀ» :grin:

2 Likes

I have not studied all of this thread but I see no cause for concern. It seems logicsl that your entitlement to healthcare underthe eu vhealthcare coordination arrangements ends on 31Dec and your entitlement under the WA starts on 1 Jan. I would expect this to be reflected by closing one set of rights and immediately opening another.

I thought I had read that the uk will no longer be part of the ehic scheme. So a ceam will cover you in other eu countrie s but not in the uk.

Perhaps you should have studied previous posts on this thread and then you would have understood that the Attestation is not like French motor insurance.
It does not all start on the 1st January, but you update it , mise a jour, when it is running out and it gives you another year, not always the 1st January.
Plus the fact that an official part of the French Governmentā€™s advice to Brits regarding health insurance also said that our rights only went up to the 31st December.
The French authorities have been extremely lax in implementing the Civil Rights part of the WA and have caused a great deal of unnecessary worry to people already suffering from a huge drop in their incomes due to the drop in the exchange rate due to Brexit.

I know what an attestation is thank you Jane and it is perhaps more like motor insurance than you think.
When you change status your attestation changes.
I think you are a retiree. But if you started a job o n Monday your rights as an s1 holder would close on Sunday and your righ ts as a worker would open on Monday.
Perhaps folk should worry less and trust the people whose job it is to manage vast and complex informations that have to integrate and handle not only British retirees but evryone in France.

1 Like

@anon51582117 Normally the attestation is a rolling date one year ahead. Ie if I open up my CPAM account today the end date for my ā€œdroitsā€ should be 14/10/21. And if I were to open up my account tomorrow the end date should be 15/10/21.
Most people in France who came here on an S1 have CPAM accounts where that is still the case. There are only a few departments where there seems to be a problem and the end date has been fixed at 31/12/20. Lot-et-Garonne is one of them.
Since I have been given four different reasons as to why this has happened I have no faith whatsoever in ā€œno cause for concernā€. I would rather this was resolved NOW and not at some future date post-Brexit.

1 Like

You only get a French CEAM if France if responsible for your healthcare. All the S1 holders are entitled to free NHS cover if they visit the UK, and get a UK CEAM/EHIC for other EU countries.

I think you are deliberately stirring up trouble.
You might know what an Attestation is but you, obviously, do not know how they are renewed,
Why would I want to start a job when I am a retiree?
Where have you come from and how is it you have faith in the civil servants and fonctionnaires who are managing this appalling mess?
You cannot have been living in France for long if you have not heard the French complaining about their own civil administration.
Perhaps you should look at another thread regarding the ANTS scheme and see just how that that has been mismanaged before making fatuous statements.

Since you ask. I lived worked and then ran a business in France for many years. I am now retired living in the uk with a house in France.a

I know about renewing attestations when there has been no change in status. I also have experience of renewing an attestation when there hss been a change in status. Have you?

Believe me especially with the business I h ad a lot to do with many aspects of French admin and I grew to respect i t. I know that problems arise at the interface level and it is annoying but behind it all is a very complex system. These are not stand alone systems, Frsnce is developing a totally integrated public information system, tax, cpam, caf, ants was the most recent system to be integrated. When someting has to change the government decides the new parameters and the programmers implement them. they do not always getit right first time but once they have got it right, it works. Until the next change.

1 Like

The point I was trying to make is that the girlon the helpline cannot help. The lady at the counter cannot help. It will be resolved when people higher up have decided the best way to handle it. It is their responsibility and they will do it in their own timeframe not yours. Until then I am afraid you are wasting your time hassling people who cannot help. But I am sorry if I have upset you, it was not my intention.

2 Likes

Donā€™t know if that was aimed at me Geoffrey but I recognise decisions are being made at higher levels and this has nothing to do with ā€œhasslingā€. There are ways of having a conversation with helplines that encourage messages being passed ā€œup the lineā€. I believe that management CAN be influenced if there is evidence of dissatisfaction. Pressure can be brought to bear. Do nothing, donā€™t explain that there is a problem, donā€™t lobby and management can be wonderfully laissez-faire. The number of calls to Lot-et-Garonne CPAM has been such that management recognise they are inundated. Ditto Newcastle.
A friend pointed out to me some years back that those of us who are retired are the ones who in small ways can bring about change. Why? Because we have the time and the energy to make those phone calls, to write those letters. He has made a difference by his actions. I intend to follow his example and I definitely do not believe I am wasting my time.

1 Like

Hi all,
Just to let you know, we have now had a response from Assurance maladie. Full details here - https://www.thelocal.fr/20201016/brits-in-france-reassured-your-healthcare-will-continue-after-december-31st but the short version is the offices were working off old guidance and new guidance has now been issued making it clear that attestations should not have a December 31st date limit on them.

2 Likes