Lots of pork questions - pork on sale in Intermarche!

Finely chopped onions, garlic, salt and pepper (although you often don’t need to with chair a sausisse as they’ve already done it). Depending what I feel like a splash of Woster sauce / ketchup / an egg / flour. It can stand up just on it’s own though so I usually only add all the other stuff if starting with fresh pork or beef mince). I like the flavour and texture of mixing with minced beef as well.

ETA bizarre my quote worked this time!

2 Likes

Mix in some very very finely chopped onion, garlic pepper and sumak, then make little balls and fry them, once brown put in a bowl, in the juices fry somemore chopped onion courgette and/or sweet potato garlic grate some nutmeg more pepper, once it looks done put the balls back in stir it about et voilà. Add some stock if it looks too dry. Eat with rice or quinoa.

2 Likes

I do a layer-bake…

gently start the chair and sliced onions in a hot pan, breaking the chair into ressembling minced beef blobs (as small/big as you like) …with a little olive oil, garlic, herbs and seasoning to suit…

slice potatoes

layers in a casserole…
potato slices
sweated chair/onion
potato slices
you get the drift… make sure to start and finish with potato slices
I add a drop of white wine and cover tightly … to let the whole thing bake through until potatoes are baked/steam cooked…
then I add grated cheese layer and brown it all under the grill…

Serve in a wide soup bowl and mop the juices with crusty bread…

yummy

EDIT just seen you can’t eat potatoes… sorry… but this is delicious for anyone else…

You can use the chair, similarly into a lasagne - leaving out whatever you can’t eat…

She could replace with sweet potatoes or butternut - that would be delicious too. I’m getting hungry now!!

3 Likes

I usually make this during the chilly months… ab fab… and the kitchen smells so welcoming when coming in from the cold…

3 Likes

If anyone gets the chance to buy pork tenderloin in these “sales”… I would say… go for it…

We’re working through our freezer… no chops left now, but there are still 2 tenderloins beckoning to me… just 2 out of 6 which I had carefully hidden away last year…

No worries - I now make a mean shepherds pie with sweet potatoes so can use those instead :slight_smile:

1 Like

My whopper of a shoulder is in the oven! I got it out of the fridge early this morning to help it warm up (read that on the net!) then had a fight with it to do the crosses in the skin, I was sweating by the time I’d done that! Did 1/2 hour on 200c then turned it down to 160c and will let it cook all day! It didn’t fit in the pan so I have another pan under with foil / baking paper and I’ve also wrapped some foil in a kind of funnel around the sticky out bit to try to get the fat to run back into the main pan!

Should I be removing fat from the pan throughout the day?

@vero what is your reasoning for putting it upside down during the slow cooking bit? I’ve left it upright for now but just wondering why you do that?

Maybe go a bit lower - 150c, you can always turn it back up a bit before it finishes for the crackling :grin:

Yes, makes a bit of a mess in the oven otherwise, lots of "spitting "

1 Like

OK so I’ve turned it down and taken some of the fat out, and basted it and turned it as per @vero so it upside down. some of the crackling had started looking a bit leathery so thought it may help. I found a wonderful long, quite scientific explanation on how to get the best crackling the other day on a blog and now I can’t for the life of me find it! It was basically cook low and slow then take it out of the oven for minimun 15 minutes but up to 2 hours then put it back in as hot as you can! I’m invited for aperos this evening so I might take it out before I go then just blast it when we get back to hopefully end up with perfect crackling! The 30 mins I did at the beginning at 200c certainly got it started.

Just stops it drying out I think, so you get all the juicy deliciousness under the crunchy bit which forms when you turn it over for the last 30 minutes.

2 Likes

It was delicious!!! With only 3 of us eating it we have hardly made a dint :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Shred some up and fry it with ginger and soy and garlic and chilli and black bean sauce :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Where do you find that? I LOVE black bean sauce, beef in black bean a great staple food in Oz!!!

@toryroo
Eurasie in Bordeaux is where I get mine but there are a couple of Vietnamese shops in Bergerac which also stock it. If you need directions I’ll send them :blush:

Oh yes please! Does the little place that does bulk nems near Gamme Vert have a market section? I keep meaning to stop and check!

No idea, I haven’t been to that one because my husband’s bit on the side used to go there and it doesn’t look very prepossessing - in Berg the one I go to is Perle d’Asie, rue du Colonel de Chadois just up from the square or the one in the Grand’ rue (between the rue de la Résistance and the place du Marche Couvert),

1 Like

Oh dear - that would be a turn off :unamused: . Thank you I’ll have a look for those next time in I’m centre ville (I’m terrible and always in a rush and rarely get in there!).

Super garlicy grattons de canards should banned as they’re too dangerously moreish - last week I polished off 500 gms over four nights. Daren’t get any more before Christmas (2025!)

Returning to the thread - I know it began with cheap cuts but the following doesn’t preclude these (they’re still there on the pig!) . We’ve stopped eating pork, even from our otherwise superb butchers (as opposed to the supermarket) unless we know it’s porc noir, bio or otherwise indicated as not having been intensively farmed. As a result we eat much less, pay a bit more, but usually get it straight from the producteur. There’s a phenomenal difference in taste between porc noir and watery supermarket pork and I think this one of the few areas where UK practice with rare breeds and outdoor reared pork is way ahead of France.

1 Like