Lovely creatures…

As we hit 8 billion mouths to feed and having wrecked the World so far, how long before we “calmari” (I know that’s squid) these into extinction too? The elephant in the room. IMHO in this whole global warming problem is that we, humans, are breeding like vermin, but doing a lot more damage.

5 Likes

Can’t eat octopus for the reasons you have stated and squid, whats the point, far tastier and less chewy options elsewhere.

2 Likes

I agree but what to do?

Vermin do breed ‘like vermin’ but if left to their own devices they achieve a natural balance – provided we are not around to mess things up. There is nothing to keep us in balance except maybe new and more deadly diseases. Maybe it will come to that!

1 Like

Goodness knows, but the fact that it’s not even being discussed ticks me off. The W@1 yesterday had a little segment on it at 40:28 into the programme. Two academics with different points of view, one correctly worried about the toll 8b people is taking on the World and the other (bit of a lunatic IMHO) who thinks we need far more people to bolster the workforce (my view on that is the more people you have, the more people you need, it’s a vicious circle).

1 Like

I heard the same thing on LBC last night completely bonkers one said, we need more young people to support the elderly

1 Like

Only if they are carers or net contributors to the economy.

Otherwise, they are not “supporting the elderly”.

1 Like

Cephalopods have a life expectancy of four years max. Survival rates of adolescents are very low. They have surived for millions of years against which the 200,000 years we have been around is just a drop in the ocean. They will almost certainly our survive us.

2 Likes

Probably true Gus, we are our own worst enemies :frowning:

Tbh and slightly off subject as you intended… it was probably assessing the divers status in the food chain! :wink:

1 Like