Low energy lightbulbs

Has anyone else bought low energy lightbulbs, transported them home with due care and attention only to find that they don’t work. We bought one in Leclerc and it was a duff one and it’s not the first time it’s happened. Is it because the staff throw them about??

I saw the price in France and could not believe them when compared to the UK. When we went back the next time we stocked up!

50p!!! I paid 5,70 Euros for the latest one! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have bought plenty of the cheap ones in the UK, even from Asda and Tesco etc when they are 50p each!! I have never had a problem with any of them. Maybe I’m just lucky!!

We too have found the cheap ones useless. Now we just ask whoevers coming over from the UK to bring loads with them, they are mega cheap compared to here and… they work!

That is soooo typical!

My main lighting skill lies in the Theatre, film and TV markets but I have been involved in allsorts (Bassett pun) but if you have a volt meter and the skill check the incoming voltage if you think you have problem… And when we first got this place we turned off all the power only to find a light still on, France is great!!!

Think you are right - our last home which was rented, was an exercise in crappy fittings and thats where we had the most problems.

James is passionate /obsessive about lights / lighting - I think you two would get on well! He does the electrics - much more fun like that watching your OH periodically get a good belt…:slight_smile:

If I can find it, I’ll post a piccie of our supply here…suffice to say there was no earth and it looked like it should have been in the science museum!

Catherine.

Have a good look at your light fittings (or should I cover myself and say get a spark to) faulty or old tired fittings kill lamps… or you could just have a poor electricity supply, lamps don’t like voltage over the design voltage. But the compact fluorescent stuff is tough and should cope with it.

I’ve had more light bulbs (of all makes) fail in France than ever in the UK. I do 100% agree with Dave about price v. quality but I do think there is also something bizarre going on here…goes off humming X-files theme tune

Ahhh you are too kind… Sylvania should be a good lamp, maybe they are having stuff made cheaply, but still the other 2 have always been good

Thanks Dave, the latest one was indeed made in China the make is Sylvania, just so others can avoid them. Will take your advice as you seem to be a switched on enlightened sort of a bloke…racks brains for further puns…oh yes, you put others in the shade…

I have worked in lighting for many years, I think it most likely own-branded imported stock from the far east. Low energy lamps are expensive an my advice is pay more, in this case you do get what you pay for, go for Phillips or Osram branded products…