Lucarne de toit

There goes my granny-fantasy, Bill! :thinking::slightly_frowning_face:

Those bloody dogs on the roof will never seem the same without a dangling crone attached with legs kicking and gums gnashing :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t know why, but since I was young, I always have a strange unconfortable feeling about “oeil de boeuf”. I wonder if it’s the name of them that starts this stupid kind of phobie :fearful:

1 Like

I think these unusual and strong anxieties may have their origins in very early childhood experience, Babeth, and they are quite common.

It may be that the sound of the words œil de bœuf trigger some distant and frightening experience in you, and it is not an actual bovine eye that you’ve seen. You possibly have some vague sense of what the ‘whole’ fear means for you, but it isn’t easy to contemplate, because you have to get past the fear to meet the reality. Possibly the original ‘trauma’ was something quite trivial, but misinterpreted because of your tender age, perhaps before you wsre able to speak and/or properly understand adult speech.

You experience of fear and even panic may hold important clues to your further undsrstanding. If you can examine the fearful feelings and note where in your body you experience them it may help. Sometimes exaggerating the feelings or the movements/gestures and sounds that go with them can unlock their hidden meaning for you and help to resolve them. Sometimes the words bring up fleeting images, or sensations, but they pass very quickly and are overlooked.

This is purely for your interest, Babeth, and for Bill’s too perhaps, and is not professional advice, which you might want to seek if the fear concerns you in any way. My best wishes, Pete the Goose Detective.

1 Like

I can clearly remember my parent talking about one, on a old house, the type of the one bellow. What else was said or what has happened at this moment, I can’t remember. But it is such a strange feeling. I’m not sure it would put me off buying a house with one of them :cold_face:

The image is[quote=“Babeth, post:44, topic:22049, full:true”]
I can clearly remember my parent talking about one, on a old house, the type of the one bellow. What else was said or what has happened at this moment, I can’t remember. But it is such a strange feeling. I’m not sure it would put me off buying a house with one of them :cold_face:
[/quote]

The image is full of potential for symbolic interpretation, psychologically speaking.

2 Likes

Maybe a bit unnerving living on ‘tother side of t’ street. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Could well be, Bill. But many of us are ambivalent about such things. We may be repelled and anxious, but at the same time drawn towards the same image or situation.

The pull towards understanding is in our nature, and we are generally willing to take a risk and face our fears of the unknown to gain knowledge and to be free.

I think your own history as a single-handed seaman is testimony to that boldness and desire to put yourself to the test, what say you Marra ? :grinning:

I didn’t say ‘I’ would be unnerved Pete, but it could, to ‘sum folks’, look a bit like a Masonic, “All Seeing Eye” peering at them :wink:

Of course, Bill. I don’t see you as someone who would be unnerved by a bull’s-eye window, but we all have our Room 101s,and I recall your mentioning an episode of claustrophobia related to being trapped. It could be argued that the fear of being trapped is more deeply rooted in your early history than your history as a sous-sol bricoleur, worrying as that sounds. :thinking::slightly_frowning_face:??

1 Like

:confused: but :thinking: :wink:

Delightful things. The only time that mine was scary was when there was a small snake sunbathing on the outside.

2 Likes

For anybody that may be interested my research led me to three possible options.

1. Have tailor made roof lights constructed which will be expensive and not have the optimum effect.

2. Fit modern velux in their place which seems the sensible option thereby insulating and increasing the light source at the same time.

3. Fit secondary double glazing.

I shall likely adopt the third option for this winter as it will soon be closing in and then deal with the upheaval of fitting modern velux next summer.

3 Likes