Macron finally declares his candidacy

He’s got until tomorrow afternoon, so the letter had better come by “firstclass post” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Better get his skates on then !

Manu clearly loves a drama, no chance in hell he won’t stand again.

Was it ever in doubt :laughing:

Actually, neighbours have been deep in discussions for a while now… many feared that he wouldn’t want another 5 years… others feared that he would.

I reckon whoever gets it will have a really tough time…

I just don’t think his ego and self belief would have not allowed him to not run

Personally, I prefer him to BoJo…
Not that I know either of them personally… :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Anyone is preferable to BoJo though :laughing:

1 Like

I just hope that he wins

3 Likes

Who else might? The fat lady is preparing the music I think.

Macron could guarantee another term just by sorting out the fuel profiteering going on now.

25% increase in 10 days and you can’t tell me the gazole at the pumps today was still in the ground and hence subject to the crude oil price increases of the last week.

That VAT/TVA is allowed on fuels and utilities remains a daily kick in the teeth for us non-millionaires.

1 Like

There’s not a lot that Macron can do about global oil and gas prices. The profiteering suppliers are mainly outside France. France is in a relatively fortunate position of having a much lower dependence on fossil fuels for electricity generation. Because of this, what he can and has done already is to cap electricity price rises by subsidy, whilst simultaneously clawing back the money needed to do this from the excess profits from EDF, which the government has an 85% stake in.

Interestingly, Total has said they’re not pulling out of Russia for now. I’m going to take a flying leap that this might be due to good relations at high levels. Plus looking back, France did make some quite sensible decisions in France’s interests in the Gulf War as well.

Visa, Mastercard and Amex stopping operations is a good move to back up the SWIFT shutdown. But I rather suspect oligarchs will just turn to the cards issued by other countries in their wallets. Which are quite likely to include cards issued to local entities in those other countries. So it seems ordinary Russians whose Visa, Mastercard or Amex stopped working, and those who run businesses which accepted payments with cards, are going to suffer first.

1 Like

Maybe one murderous tyrant thinks the other murderous tyrant has went a bit far, it’s maybe ok for one doing it being closed doors, but out in the world’s view might look a bit too bad :thinking: