Macron gets the blues…

French President Macron has changed the colour on the French flag why ? Because he has the power to do so. The bleu cobalt has been changed to bleu marine to bring it into line with the EU blue flag.
Does he have nothing more important to worry about ?

Is it the 1st of April already?

I’ve been reading quite differing/conflicting stories about this “colour change”… which happened in 2020.

Quote from La Provence “Under the presidency of Valéry Giscard d’Estaing, it had indeed been decided to grant the blue of the French flag to that of the European flag.”

"But last Tuesday, during his televised speech, Emmanuel Macron appears next to a French flag sporting a navy blue which contrasts more with the color of the EU…
… and is (in fact) now back to the original blue colour of the symbol of the 1793 French Revolution… "

this “original” blue, white, red French flag … is being flown on the certain buildings… Élysée, l’Assemblée nationale and le ministère de l’Intérieur… it’s not being imposed nationwide.

2 Likes

I wonder what they mean by ‘bring it into line’ as Bleu Marine is far darker than the current brand guidelines for the EU flag which are PMS 287. If anything it seems like they’ve brought it out of line, made the blue darker so it’s more different to the EU flag.

1 Like

It’s actually the reverse according to this evening’s online Connexion, ‘In 1976 the then-president Valéry Giscard d’Estaing had lightened the blue as he wanted it to be closer to the blue of the flag of the European Union, next to which the French flag is often displayed.’

The ‘new’ darker shade of blue is a return to the blue of the post-Revolutionary tricoleur. What I find more interesting is why this apparently has only just been picked up, a year after the change, but of course it’s now quite close to the pre-election season…

Left/right wing game playing…and keeps flag making industry in business.

But things things change here, including Marianne. She is currently Marianne L’Engagé created by a street artist. I like that traditions evolve.

Some of you can be part of change too :no_good_woman:

Plus ça change?

The artists of Revolutionary France ranged from the neoclassical, academic orthodoxy of David’s

Oath of the Horatii depicting a traditional notion of ‘noble’ patriotic sacrifice for a cause beyond that of self or family.

to the emotionally ‘mushy’ egalitarianism of the Paris mob in the Romanticism of Delacroix’s Liberty Leading the People

One seldom sees the former image appropriated, whereas ‘Liberty’ is a perennial favourite - not sure if that’s due to the unwittingly bared breasts (promise of an ensuing sexual revolution) or simply the wonderful resonance of the cock-eyed, stove pipe hat (an often overlooked, but very important element in the painting).