Macros

Wow, some serious competition there. Wait till you have the tubes :wink: One question though; what was the ISO on the first one?

Iā€™m taking a short break from macro - a friend has leant me his Nikkor 18:200mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED lens to play with - swallows nesting in the barn are my target! Mind you, had some fun in the fields yesterday trying to catch scenes through the wheat. Caught a great little bug! Will post when file size suitableā€¦
Found a dead Pipestrelle in one of the bedrooms today, itā€™s still in pristine condition, so I may have a go with macro on that. At least IT wonā€™t move!!! Watch this space as they say!

Thank you Linda. The hardest part is the breathing.

That is some awesome picture Stuart! Well done.

Click for full size, itā€™s cool.

OK, I know I keep frightening people with these, but this one dropped on my head in the workshop and then started getting stroppy. Fearsome little guy.

On the bottle.

The best tip I have had and it did occur to me before. Focus manually then move in and out from the subject. I do that almost systemtically now for the very close macros.
Another tip I got was to use the live view and you can zoom in on it, which will ensure perfect focus. I havenā€™t tried that one yet because I think that would require three hands :wink:

I still have issues with focus - I canā€™t decide whether I am better off using manual focus or auto focus with macro work. Itā€™s fun messing about though!
Since I learned to be creative with my body position in the field (Sometimes bum in the air, much to the consternation of passing neighbours) my work has improved beyond recognition.That Iris I posted has to be the best Iā€™ve done so far. Snakes - well I havenā€™t given them much thought - yet! Nostly grass snakes around us, so I suppose not too dangerous - great photo opportuities though!

Great to see you posting again! First shots with a new set up are always special, particularly when they work like this.

I took one of them the other day and there you go showing me a different (and better) angle grr. Do you have the tubes now Karen?

Iā€™ve been picking peoples brains including James and the guy on Flicker (Eddie). They both recommended the 105 mm micro lens from Nikon. I bought it second hand. I focus to the max and then just move the camera in and out. Again something I learned from the internet and talking to the experts. I have a set of Kenko rings. (68mm). I was going to buy cheap ones but thought better of it. It is quite hard to get the focus and I probably took about 8 photos before I got that one. He was posing a bit, or was it the fact that he had just been taken out the sink and was being threatened with a knife by Nathalie. I think I can safely say that it is this site and particularly you people in this group who got me back into photography and especially you Karen for the macro stuff. Now I need to broaden my horizons and I will be boring James with my questions on a regualr basis. The great thing is, not one person I have mailed or spoken to has refused or not answered my questions.
I am really enjoying myself.

Well as long as itā€™s not yourself! We look forward to your return when youā€™ve got your camera sorted out. Meantime just pop in and post a word or twoā€¦

Remind us what youā€™ve got Stuart - sounds interesting. Mind you, I still have my work cut out getting the best out of the basic ringsā€¦

Hi James

Actually that is what I like so much about the 105. I was about 20cm from the spider. With the other lensI woulmd have been almost touching. I guess thatā€™s what they mean by a 1:1.

Wow, thatā€™s close!

Sorry if I put anyone off their Dinner. I am loving this new lens and tube set-up. I canā€™t wait for the ring flash :smiley: The head on this spider is about 2mm across.

Hey Karen, we miss you! This group was surely your inspiration even if you didnā€™t start it! Who do you think encouraged me to get the rings? Come on get your camera out again!

Lovely colours Linda, I like the high key effect too, suits the subject well :slight_smile:

Love that Iris!